Billy Gibbons

I love the Reverend mainly because he gets his tone HIS WAY. Things like 6 Expandoras, and that fact that his strings are .008's when Texas logic says they should be .013's. He plays through the neck pickup and cranks the treble. He's the only guy I know that's every used a ring modulator effect and made it sound cool.
The beard, that hat... it's all just so cool and unique and genuine.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Okay, I can't resist. Billy F Gibbons' tone on a budget.

Set your distortion as follows:

level 40%
tone 50%
gain 40%

next, the chorus:

level 75%
speed 0%
depth 100%
If your chorus has a tone knob set it to about 60%

With those settings try playing "My Head's in Mississippi."

Even though the song's snare sound and those pads are cheesy (IMHO) the guitar tone of "Rough Boy" is beautiful!!! Great OD, awesome attack and some very good note choice.

Carlos

The guy must go through guitars like crazy. Every music store you go into in Houston seems to have something he used to own...

Yeah, but you won't see "Pearly Gates", his 58 Les Paul in the pawn shops. That would be like Willy Nelson selling that beat up old Martin classical of his.
Also, his slide playing is so greasy, I can almost taste the pork chops. Yum!!Tasty...

SteveE9C6 said:
The guy must go through guitars like crazy. Every music store you go into in Houston seems to have something he used to own...

Not just in Houston brother, I have seen some of his used gear here in San Antonio too!!!

King Elvis said:
Not just in Houston brother, I have seen some of his used gear here in San Antonio too!!!
and not to mention all those stores in Holland and Belgium, which are flooded with his gear... and some old crap from Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters as well. :eek: ;)

The Rev. Gibbons, wondrous as he is, is known for making statements in interviews about his gear that may be a tad misleading. EVH did this a lot in the past (yeah, man, Jose Arredondo modded my Marshalls!), and he may have picked it up from him when they were getting together and building up piles of Marshall stacks to jam on.

Hey don't get me wrong, he's great, but he doesn't make his tone secrets easy, can't blame him for that.

Back