Big White Porch

gmiller1122

Addled but happy

(File is called Lazy Hearse, but song is called Big White Porch)

Using:

Fostex vf80 recorder
MXL v67 Condenser Mic
ART Tube Pre
Fender bass
Alvarez acoustic
Danolectro electric
Vox Cambridge 30 amp
Yamaha keyboard drum track (I know, I know, but it's all I have for now) :confused:
nTrack for effects and mixing

Recorded in the corner of our computer room, mostly while the baby sleeps.

I've been messing around with recording for about a year now. It's a hobby -- keeps me out of trouble. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm looking for input on the mix, the instrument sounds, the lyrics, the song structure, pretty much anything that you want to comment on.

Thanks,

G

Some of the drumming is sloppy...sounds tapped out live to the bell track. I used to do that too, no worries. The vocals could use some layers in parts...give a chorused feel in spots.
Not bad, especially for how long you've been doing it. Some of the lyrics are a bit predictable. The crashes have got to go. That triangle gets real old by the end.

The electric line could come down and use a bit of cut in the midlows.

less is more

I like the lyrics a lot.

too much going on with those "drums" that triangle is still ringing in my head.

That second guitar (doing the counter melody noodling thing) there's a little bit too much of it. It sounds cool, but it gets distracting...use it a little bit more sparingly.

I think this style may lend itself to a "less is more" idea.

The whole thing reminds me of Robbie Robertson (esp your vox) and it has a little bit of
Chris Whitley - (livin with the law his FIRST album ) feel - If you haven't heard that album...and this style you've presented here is the direction you're going then I suggest you pick it up and listen to it - great album. He got a little experimental later on...but that first one...man. :)

Anyway.. I like your song, I think it has potential.

Thanks!

Yeah, the triangles came with the drum track -- no getting rid of them, but I can see about taking them down somewhat. (they bug me, too).

I love Robbie Robertson, and Whitley's CD is a favorite of mine. Saw him open for Tom Petty years ago, and was blown away. This is a huge compliment. Thanks.

I tried adding vocal layers, but couldn't find a sound I liked. I'll work on that.

The drumming is sloppy? That's funny, since it's programmed. Damn machines. :D

Thanks again, guys.

g

Tingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtinging.

Besides that. Not bad sounds like your holding back alittle on the vox. Didn't want to wake the baby? Lyrics? Well to each his own. "Playing guitar...all afternoon (takes a breath) long." Keep up the good work.

L8er,
livilaNic

lol you were in here with me aas I wrote this lol.

Okay, I get it...the ting has to go...haha.

The vox gets worse as I sing louder. And yes, the baby comes first!
So, livilaNic, does that mean you liked the lyrics? Or was that a slam?

Is it clear that this is from a dead man's point of view at his own funeral?

G

tingting

gmiller1122 said:
So, livilaNic, does that mean you liked the lyrics? Or was that a slam?

It was nether. It's not my style of music by far. But I know what music should and should not (at least I like to think I do) sound like. *Reminder* Not everyone will like what you do! But as long as you like it thats all that matters.

L8er,
livilaNic

After getting multiple reviews from different people, and reading reviews of others, you start to learn a little about how each individual reacts to certain things, wether that individual is overly negative or positive, if that person generally comments on production, song writing, etc. What I'm saying is, you will learn which opinions matter to you and which don't (or at least I have so far). I would say that I could trust LivilaNic's opinion even though he is into the black metal thing. I have read his opinions on a wide range of tunes posted here. Another person, Jake-owa, usually will pick a tune apart pretty quick and with a very blunt attitude. But, from what I've seen, he brings up some points about a tune worth going back and checking out. It would probably benefit you to take a look at some of their posts in other threads.

By the way, the drums in the intro are all over the place. They sound ok in the song itself but maybe there is a little too much going on there too.

The intro is a little sloppy. Good acoustic guitar sound. Decent electric guitar sounds, though I'd opt for more of a delayed effect rather than chorus (which sounds a little dated to me). Maybe add a little grit also - it's really clean.

My main criticism of all the songs posted here is the absence of a killer hook. I wouldn't say this song has a killer hook, but it's not bad either. You need to add some harmonies to the chorus to bring it out more. It's a good, interesting lyric, but it's begging for harmonies.

Some of the drums in the intro sound out of place and yes...sloppy. Programmed or not, they aren't fitting.

Back