Big problem with Fostex E-8

Me-Uzik

Hi,
I just got a Fostex E-8 from Ebay and while trying it I found quite a big problem:

it seems I can't record on only 1 track at a time, when I press record all tracks are getting erased and records over...
Even when no tracks are being selected ("safe"), or if I choose "individual" in the input monitor...
That's unusual as an 8 track recorder is supposed to be able to record one track at a time while listening to the other ones...
Is there something I didn't do correctly?
Is there a switch inside I need to turn on or off?

I would appreciate any help you can give me a lot.

Sincerely,

Me-Uzik

I may be able to help here as i also have an 8 Track Fostex machine (Fostex Model 80)

As far as i know there is no switch except the 8 track selector switches on the front.

As for the problem you described, it is very strange for a machine to do that
Although i havent tested to see if my machine does the same or not.

Here is a list of checks that might be able to pinpoint the problem (if there is one)

1. Power on the machine
2. Press all track buttons so the flashing lights goe out Including the tape monitor button at the end.
3. Select tracks 1 and 2 (set only these 2 so that they are flashing. (when you press record these 2 will change so that the lights are constantly on)
4. record about 60 secs of music or something then press stop
5. Play this back to see if it recorded correctly.

Next
1. press tracks 1 and 2 so the lights go out
2. Rewind the tape back to the start.
3. Activate tracks 3 and 4 and repeat steps 4 and 5 of the above.

Final test
1. playback on tracks 1 and 2

(Dont forget to switch the jacks to the input's and outputs on the back of the machine between recordings.)

2. Playback on tracks 3 and 4

Ok if you hear output on both then it should be fine. (If you hear muffled sound or intermittent dropouts or varying tone of the output then that could either indicate heads or tape transport may be out of alignment.

These steps are just to go through a process of elimination.

Hope this info helps
Keith

P.S post here your results and i will see what i can do.

If your located in the U.K then finding parts for the fostex reel to reel machines may prove difficult.

Hi krhall, thanks for the reply;

The thing is when I select any track the tracks selected are not flashing at all;
Funny as I was thinking why the heck didn't they put a light to show when a track is being selected, it's really odd for a machine like that, and quite dangerous to erase a track accidentally!
It can't possibly be...
So I checked closely and there is indeed a light that is supposed to flash when I select a track, so the problem has to do with the electronics.

I changed a fuse before seeing that problem (it was a fuse that had something to do with the motor), but I wonder if there wouldn't be another one to change as well as that is not normal.
When I changed the fuse the other ones seemed ok.
I will check it out later tonight with my cousin.
I will post an update here after.

I dont have an R8 but I'll take a wild guess. if you have the machine set to "input" monitor, then you would not hear the recorded tracks. In order to record a track while listening to the other ones, you have to be in sync mode.

If you already knew that or if that isn't the problem, the fuses is another good place to look.

Did you by any chance have the Fostex E-8 shipped ? Check carefully for internal damage, especially as it relates to the functions at issue. You may follow a trail to something broken or dislodged.

Hi,
thanks for the replies;
No it's not the input monitor but thanks.
I checked the fuses and they all look ok.

Yes it was shipped and yes there were internal damages:
the board holding the fuses had the four corners broken, I glued them back with "Krazyglue" so that the screws can hold it again.
So yes there might be an internal problem caused by the shipping.
I will re-check carefully for something else, but I think it's probably something electronic.

I'll see what I can do.

Thanks.

Yup, idiot eBay sellers, who can't pack to save their lives, strike again! Makes me so angry when stuff like that happens and it does very, very often. I'd estimate well over 50% of eBay shipped items arrive with various degrees of damage. That, I believe, is eBay's dirtiest little secret. I avoid it like the plague for bulkier electronics, unless it's a local pickup.

Keep us updated with your E-8.

That’s a shame. The E-8 is a nice unit. If there was enough force to break the corners off the fuse PCB, there are surely small cracks on other boards that have caused tracings to sever.

You may eventually be able to track it all down, but after that you’ll have mechanical alignment to deal with.

I would file a dispute if it were still an option… first approach the seller and then ebay and paypal.

For the first time I recently filed damage claim with UPS. The first thing they do is reject it as a matter of course. You have to push it through an appeal process. Once it got that far it went quickly and they sent me a check for $250.00. Gosh, a $250.00 check from UPS. I didn’t know whether to cash it or frame it. :)

For the first time I recently filed damage claim with UPS. The first thing they do is reject it as a matter of course. You have to push it through an appeal process. Once it got that far it went quickly and they sent me a check for $250.00. Gosh, a $250.00 check from UPS. I didn’t know whether to cash it or frame it. :)[/QUOTE]

Frame IT!! :p

Back