big problem... can anyone help me?

lucid

I changed my northbridge fan and HS. put some arctic silver 3 and a crystal orb on it.. too bad my computer is dead

i'll post the problem here, as well as another forum, in case any of you are familiar with it...

OK. I had everything hooked back up and ready to go. power on. Usually, it detects my drives very quickly and goes on. not this time: it takes for ever and then goes on to say that all my drives have failed.

i go to my bios and fiddle, deciding in the end to reset all the bios settings... after this the detection of drives is faster, but i have to press F4 to skip anything that can't be found

so after much fiddling i decide to unplug the power to all drives except my main boot (C:\) drive... When i do this i get to a windows screen and i almost start crying out of happiness. But then it just stops. STOPS. so i reset. So after trying this many times in all of the options windows gives at startup, nothing works. But then, on one lucky try, i get into safe mode. i run all diagnostics i can and come up with nothing...

Then i decide to plug in my primary slave drive (DVD-ROM) to reinstall windows... once it tries to detect the drives: primary master drive fail, primary slave drive fail...

So i unplug its power and plug in my secondary slave (CD Burner). From here i boot and all is good and the other drives are 'not detected.' i get into safe mode, start reinstalling windows and then it needs to restart. From here it decides not to get into windows again.

what is going on? it cant be the power supply, i don’t think, because it worked fine before. and this only happens when all drives are plugged in that they 'fail'. Oh, when all drives are plugged in only the primary drives fail.... but when only the boot drive is plugged in i get no windows, safe mode or an error on startup that says something like "unmountable_boot_drive"

help! please!

i laughed at myself when i figured this out:

i had the IDE cable heads switched... small annoyances that make you want to never show your face again...

but now i cant get windows to boot up... never ending, i tell you (it freezes just at the end of that DOS style "progression" thing that winXP does)

If it's that unstable you should ask yourself if you did that northbridge mod correctly. Do the chip and the heatsink really make a tight fit?
You haven't spilled any of that arctic silver (shortcircuit)? And you should really use very very little of it or you'd better be off without any.

all up and working now... i had a half installed windows on my C:\ and it was messing up some stuff so i fixed that and ran fixboot from the windows cd and now all is good...

thanks though

Back