Big Mic Shootout

Big Kenny said:
and so well conceived and thought out, good job
:D ;)

I was having trouble posting a thread...(as happens around here every now and then.) - so finally - I just started posting those until one took.

Now Ive filled in the details.

Really showes how "the best mic" changes with the source. I found it pretty useful and well conducted, thanks for posting it. No single mic shootout is entirely useful, but the more of these we have access to, the more folks can start to get a reasonably clear picture of what a mic sounds like, or is likely to sound like if they go out and buy one.

Robert D said:
Really showes how "the best mic" changes with the source. I found it pretty useful and well conducted, thanks for posting it. No single mic shootout is entirely useful, but the more of these we have access to, the more folks can start to get a reasonably clear picture of what a mic sounds like, or is likely to sound like if they go out and buy one.
2 thumbs up!!

I did not rate some of the nicer mics as high as I thought I would. It could be that I am not used to hearing them, therefore, I did not know what I was REALLY listening to. I was also listening to them through my headphones at work and rated them the first pass of hearing them (First Impression).

Fishmed_Returns said:
I did not rate some of the nicer mics as high as I thought I would. It could be that I am not used to hearing them, therefore, I did not know what I was REALLY listening to. I was also listening to them through my headphones at work and rated them the first pass of hearing them (First Impression).
I did my whole test using cans - but then I have a nice set of AKG K271's - so I felt fairly confident I was hearing what this particular test had to offer.

I very much agreed with some of the testers comments on the certain mics, as my own notes exactly matched what they said - and then some of them I was just on the opposite end of the field. It's all about what *YOU* think sounds nice at the end of the day.

....And these mic shootouts (as stated previously) only give you a small piece of the puzzle over all (room, voices, angle, distance, application, etc... all being factors that could make the mics sound better/worse).

kinda disapointing that they didnt really tell us the signal chain on this test. I have a AT4050 and ive never gotten a sound like that???

i probbaly read over it

im probbaly doing something wrong when i record the mic :o

I thought it was interesting to then go back to the top and start comparing the ones I had rated highly before I then went to the ID page.

I was amazed how well the Oktaver and SP-B1 sat in there with the rest. Also the Rode.

I would really like to know what aother gear was used in this text as well. I also was surprized by the SP B-1 and Octava.

chessrock said:
The B1 sounded really good in this test.

The two mics that scored the Highest for me was the B1 and the EV RE27.

Some of the more expensive mics sound clean but flat, but I guess that is the way they were designed to do.

i dont get it???!!?!? i dont get this clear crisp sound out of my mics. I mean the article says that everything is just at a neutral setting (although they dont mention the preamp) but whats the trick??? anyone?

TheHunter said:
It turns out that I like the sound of Shure KSM44
This was my surprise winner as well. I've never come accross this mic before.
The KSM 44, the U87 and the AT 4050 scored the highest for me. The 57, 58 and RE-27 scored lowest.

I was listening to the mics purely for clarity and neutrality. Anything too bassy, noisy or crisp (abrasive) got bad marks from me.

Of course - all of those adjectives I just used are subjective.....so.....

Nick The Man said:
i dont get it???!!?!? i dont get this clear crisp sound out of my mics. I mean the article says that everything is just at a neutral setting (although they dont mention the preamp) but whats the trick??? anyone?

That is the "trick". I have used the SAME mic on a great mic pre and crappy mic pre. There was a big difference in how clean and crisp the high end mic pre sounded compared to the low-end mic pre that sounded muffled and muddy.

Nick The Man said:
Post a clip of your mics and give us your signal chain and room dynamics.

It could be any number of things: mic technique, pop filter distance, cables, faulty signal chain, room modes, etc, etc,

Or maybe nothings wrong at all and your voice just sounds different on your mics.

I think the test did a good job of displaying how different a single mic can sound on different voices.

haha, what's really a good feeling for me is that I chose the mics I use and own already. Probably because I like that sound, but it also confirms that at least I know the sound that I like and the sound of my mics, and I'm not totally screwed in my hearing. Sometimes one wonders, you know, like I was worried going into this test to find out that all along the mics I bought would be the ones I liked least, and that the sound of hte mics I own would sound totally different in my recordings than they do in this guy's recordings.

Lucky for me, this is how it ended up:
Apparently I'm wierd, but for me the 414 uls has always been a favorite vocal mic, and it still came out in the top 3 for me here). (don't own one yet but use them regularly in bigger studios).

U87 came out right up there too, with the tlm 103 almost tied with it (amusingly enough I guess them right but got them backwards LoL). (I own a tlm 103)

Shure KSM 32 was right up there too (I like it much more than the 27 or 44, and have always felt that way which is why I own them).

B1 came out right up there too (I also own those)

to my shock and horror I actually quite liked the high end of the rode mic. I never have owned one of those, but have used them, and don't recall them sounding like that (but then it may have been a different rode model, they have the stupidest number scheme).

ones I highly disliked (and always thought I hated):

ksm 27, always hated it for vocals, lacks refinement, but great for many other things. plenty of 7k presence and too much TT and SS

oktava 319 - one of my more hated mics for vocals. blech. not much midbass, plenty of plosives, ssses and p's don't sound too great, middy also

at4050 - good example of why the only AT mic I own is the 2020 and the only other of their mics I'll use is the 4047. 4050 just is just too sibilant, period.

sm58 - just throw it out the window. good enough for woodstock in the 60s, not good enough for anything in a modern studio. 57 is better, but I don't use them either any more. audix blows shure away for inexpensive handheld dynamics, period. shure studio mics are much better than their handhelds though. by the way, I don't like beta much either, so sue me.

re27 - how does this mic sound compared to an re20?? my re20 doesn't sound aNYTHING like this. how did they get such exaggerated highs out of this thing? that's the only issue I have with this test, the re20 sounds way better than this, so I'm assuming that either the re27 is a vastly harsher sibling or something odd happened in the usage of this mic during the test (or a preamp imbalance happened with this mic/pre combo).

My opinionated crap for anyone to read about who gives a crap. Im' assuming you don't so just ignore this post, but if you care to read it then just remember it's my taste, I like velvety, I like highs that are almost de-essed sounding right out of the mic, I like rich, I don't like harsh no matter what. so THERE :-)

Cheers!
Don

Back