Big Folky Thing

Whatmysay

Thanks for all the help on Rope & Gravity last month.

I have something a little more 'protest folk' hopefully with a contemporary sound.

After last month feedback I have eased off the compression and excites, but perhaps created a new addiction by using new 'Slate' desk emu plug-in!

Thank you in advance of great advice:)

Burt

My Exploding Heart
(Burt Crow Dec 2011)

Intro Ch
My Exploding Heart
Take this ignorance and blow it up

Want to make war on war
I want kindness as my gun
Want wisdom as artillery
As I shoot that hatred down
Gona be a life-giving bomber
Ignite the world with hope

Ch
And My Exploding Heart
Just exploding love
My Exploding Heart
Take this ignorance and blow it up

Want a social revolution
People connected on every street
Want change that is real
Not reinvented for TV
Gona need some air cover
Guided missiles of peace

Ch
Bridge
Forget the bombs, guns and knives
It’s time to weaponised love

Ch (Alt end)

My Exploding Heart
Just exploding love
My Exploding Heart
Take this ignorance
The hurt and pain as well
Please take this ignorance
and blow it up

I found the vocals were a bit too loud - especially at the beginning and during the sustained "oohhs". There's a lack of bass guitar so I'd eq some more bass into the instruments to "round " it out a bit. The vocals are not only well done they sound super clean with a nice "bite" on the edges.
Bit mono sounding but the different frequencies keep everything discernable. Nice haunting tune man!

Thanks for the input - about EQ and particular about vocals, as quality was a bit of a concern to me. Have been using Waves vocal rider, which is having good results but think I need to use the write/read mode and fine tune a little further.

I think I will rerecord a bit faster - it was for a pitch that request real slow, but I felt its natural speed was a bit faster. Cello or bass if I was to add lower instrument? Any thoughts?

I would definitely add a bass guitar. But then, I would also add drums too. Tho, not my tune right? I love the vocals, but vocal rider is for 'evening' out the levels. The tune as you have presented it, seems to need some dynamics with the vocals. Starting off at a lower volume, then more prominent in the choruses. Overall, I feel the vocals a bit out front of the guitar. That would not be the case so much if there was more body to the backing track.

Haunting tune it is. Like it! :D

Thanks Jimmy

Great call on Vocal rider, your absolutely right - so I might challenge myself with the write/read function and finesse the automation to add the dynamics.

I think a really discreet bass could work and I did feel bridge could have taken a snare. I am try to get a variety of material togther and I often use drums, but it is always V1 minimal/V2 rim click/Ch full kit light/V3 maybe snare or back to rim click/Ch same/Bridge big drums/Ch either drop out or big sound and bring it home. So I am trying some more sparse use of drums at moment.

What do you think about cello or bowed double bass, to fill lows to mid low?

Burt

Back