Biden Gonna Lose

The minority of "who"? You? I know you probably don't like "minorities". ;)
That's not very nice. Up here in white bread New Hampshire I just hired a black guy. First one who has ever applied. Nice guy, has all the qualifications.

I was talking about the very recent CNN poll. That poll is what lead me to post this thread.
A few guys here have crossed the line and revealed their ugly character, but I’ve never seen that from Lou.
Thanx.

"Biden Gonna Lose" sounded like a post created by one of those "Brandon" people... which would have put you in the same camp as all of the other people posting here lately... so you'll have to forgive me if that is not the case. No idea about any CNN polls, but I find it highly unlikely someone who was voted out of office for good reason, would suddenly be "the answer" and voted back in. Find a better candidate, maybe.

"Biden Gonna Lose" sounded like a post created by one of those "Brandon" people... which would have put you in the same camp as all of the other people posting here lately... so you'll have to forgive me if that is not the case. No idea about any CNN polls, but I find it highly unlikely someone who was voted out of office for good reason, would suddenly be "the answer" and voted back in. Find a better candidate, maybe.
Well that is what I said - to the Democratic party in particular. You should maybe read a little deeper. The CNN poll basically has Biden finishing behind ANY of the Republican candidates. It also has him behind Trump (albeit within the margin of error) for the first time ever. CNN is most certainly not in the same category as FoxNews. The "left" is starting to become concerned as well they should.

Apology accepted.

Hillary would win this time if they were the 2 choices. This is the sad world we live in. Clowns.
"Clowns" you say. Is that a euphemism for "Deplorables"? You know. The word Hillary chose to describe conservatives. It was that one word.... "Deplorables" and or "Clowns" (your description) that put an end to her political career. She still whines about it to this day and still claims that Trump stole the 2016 election. That's not "What Really Happened". What really happened was that all those deplorable/clowns voted a resounding NO, rejecting her poor choice of a single word to alienate people on both sides of the aisle. Hillary has never been as intelligent as she thinks she is. Bill can corroborate that, I'm certain.

Carry on.

"Clowns" you say. Is that a euphemism for "Deplorables"? You know. The word Hillary chose to describe conservatives. It was that one word.... "Deplorables" and or "Clowns" (your description) that put an end to her political career.
Yup. 60's pretty well nailed it here. Trump was delivered the office on a massive anti-Hillary vote. I voted for him for that reason alone. I won't apologize for it. I voted for him the second time for similar reasons. I do not want to vote for him again but if my option is Biden... I won't apologize for that either.

Haha. I knew the Hillary people would come out of the woodwork. My point isn't anything "good" about Hillary, it's that Chump is that bad of a choice, that even Hillary would win against him in a re-do. i.e. He only won that office in the first place because Hillary was the opposition. Hell, it was the first time in my life that I was able to vote, that even I did not vote, better believe I showed up in 2020 to correct that mistake. ;)

Obviously, she isn't running. It was a joke, but I still think she would have won if there was a re-do in 2016, if people in 2020 could go back in time.

Something is wrong with the above "Anti-Biden" post up there... in that it was Chump's deal to withdraw from Afghanistan, Biden just agreed to follow through with it... so if it's "bad" for Biden, it's got to be "bad" for Chump too.
True: Trump made the decision that America should withdraw from Afghanistan. Rightfully so.
Also true: Biden, General Milley, and others at the top of officials within the Pentagon botched the withdrawal from moment one.
Also true: On that fateful day in Kabul when 13 Americans lost their lives, during the withdrawal, it was the indecisiveness of those in charge on the ground and further up the chain of command all the way up to the White House that resulted in their deaths.

On the day of of their deaths an American military sniper had within his sights the Kabul suicide bomber. He radioed in more than once expecting it that he would receive a green light to eliminate the suicide bomber with a single killshot. It was all up to his immediate chain of command on the ground and further up the chain of command all the way up to the Pentagon and perhaps inclusive of the Commander In Chief's decision to not issue a shoot to kill order.

And then Biden stood there a few days later on the tarmac continually looking at his Rolex ignoring the procession as caskets rolled out in procession, whilst the mothers, fathers, siblings, who were in mourning of their lost family member did in fact notice that the presence of the President of the United States, the First Lady, the Secretary of Defense was at best insult upon injury.

True: Trump made the decision that America should withdraw from Afghanistan. Rightfully so.
Also true: Biden, General Milley, and others at the top of officials within the Pentagon botched the withdrawal from moment one.
Also true: On that fateful day in Kabul when 13 Americans lost their lives, during the withdrawal, it was the indecisiveness of those in charge on the ground and further up the chain of command all the way up to the White House that resulted in their deaths.

On the day of of their deaths an American military sniper had within his sights the Kabul suicide bomber. He radioed in more than once expecting it that he would receive a green light to eliminate the suicide bomber with a single killshot. It was all up to his immediate chain of command on the ground and further up the chain of command all the way up to the Pentagon and perhaps inclusive of the Commander In Chief's decision to not issue a shoot to kill order.

And then Biden stood there a few days later on the tarmac continually looking at his Rolex ignoring the procession as caskets rolled out in procession, whilst the mothers, fathers, siblings, who were in mourning of their lost family member did in fact notice that the presence of the President of the United States, the First Lady, the Secretary of Defense was at best insult upon injury.
Well said

2024’s Field of Nightmares​

Sept. 13, 2023, 5:03 a.m. ET

By Ross Douthat

In the bottom of the 10th inning of the sixth game of the 1986 World Series, with the Boston Red Sox leading the New York Mets 5-3, Red Sox manager John McNamara sent Bill Buckner — a great hitter dealing with terrible leg problems that made him gimp his way around first base — back out to play the infield instead of putting in Dave Stapleton, Buckner’s defensive replacement. A half-dozen at-bats later, a Mookie Wilson ground ball went through Buckner’s wobbly legs, sending the World Series to Game 7 and a certain 6-year-old Red Sox fan to bed in desperate tears.

Those tears were my first acquaintance with the harsh truth of a baseball aphorism: The ball will always find you. Meaning that if you place a player where he shouldn’t be, or try to disguise a player’s incapacity by shifting him away from the likely action, or give a player you love a chance to stay on the field too long for sentimental reasons, the risk you take will eventually catch up to you, probably at the worst possible moment.

Obviously, this is a column about President Biden’s age. But not only about Biden, because America has been running a lot of Buckner experiments of late. Consider the dreadful-for-liberals denouement of Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s career, where nobody could tell a lifetime-tenured Supreme Court justice who had survived cancer that it was time to step aside and Democrats were left to talk hopefully about her workout regimen as she tried to outlast Donald Trump. And she almost did — but in the end, her legacy was reshaped and even unmade by a decision to stay too long on the political field.

Or consider the Trump presidency itself, in which voters handed a manifestly unfit leader the powers of the presidency and for his entire term, various Republicans tried to manage him and position him and keep him out of trouble, while Dave Stapleton — I mean, Mike Pence — warmed the bench.

This managerial effort met with enough success that by the start of 2020, Trump seemed potentially headed for re-election. But like a series of line drives at an amateur third baseman, the final year of his presidency left him ruthlessly exposed — by the pandemic (whether you think he was too libertarian or too Faucian, he was obviously overmastered), by a progressive cultural revolution (which he opposed but was helpless to impede), by Biden’s presidential campaign and finally by his own vices, which yielded Jan. 6.

Naturally, Republicans are ready to put him on the field again.

These experiences set my expectations for what’s happening with Democrats and Biden now. The increasing anxiety over Biden’s lousy poll numbers, which I discussed in last weekend’s column, has yielded a defensive response from Biden partisans. Their argument is that the president’s decline is overstated, that his administration is going well and he deserves more credit than he’s getting and that, as Vox’s Ian Millhiser suggests, the press is repeating its mistake with Hillary Clinton’s email scandal and making the age issue seem awful when it’s merely, well, “suboptimal.”

I do not think Biden’s decline is overstated by the media; by some Republicans, maybe, but the mainstream press is, if anything, treading gingerly around the evident reality. But I do think Biden’s defenders are correct that the effect of his age on his presidency has been, at most, only mildly negative. It’s limited his use of the bully pulpit and hurt his poll numbers, but his administration has passed major legislation, managed a foreign policy crisis and run a tighter ship than Trump.

Where I have criticisms of Bidenism, they’re mostly the normal ones a conservative would have of any liberal president, not special ones associated with chaos or incompetence created by cognitive decline.

But in running Biden for re-election, Democrats are making a fateful bet that this successful management can simply continue through two sets of risks: the high stakes of the next election, in which a health crisis or just more slippage might be the thing that puts Trump back in the White House, and the different but also substantial stakes of another four-year term.

“The ball will always find you” is not, of course, an invariable truth. It’s entirely possible that Biden can limp to another victory, that his second term will yield no worse consequences than, say, Ronald Reagan’s did, that having managed things thus far, his aides, spouse and cabinet can see the next five years through.

But the Trump era has been one of those periods when providence or fate revenges itself more swiftly than usual on hubris — when the longstanding freedom that American parties and leaders have enjoyed, by virtue of our power and pre-eminence, to skate around our weak spots and mistakes has been substantially curtailed.

Even Millhiser’s proposed analogy for the fixation on Biden’s age, the Clinton email scandal, fits this pattern. “Her emails” hurt Clinton at the last because they became briefly entangled with the Anthony Weiner sex scandal. This was substantively unfair, since nothing came of the Clinton emails found on Weiner’s laptop. But it was dramatically fitting, a near-Shakespearean twist, that after surviving all of Bill Clinton’s sex scandals the Clinton dynasty would be unmade at its hour of near triumph by a different, more pathetic predator.

So whether it’s certain or not, I can’t help expecting a similarly dramatic punishment for trying to keep Biden in the White House notwithstanding his decline.

That I also expect some kind of punishment from the Republicans renominating Trump notwithstanding his unfitness doesn’t make me inconsistent, because presidential politics isn’t quite the same as baseball. Unlike in a World Series, there need not be a simple victor: All can be punished; all of us can lose.

Back