biamp mixers

Cave Dweller

any opinions about biamp mixers? i also posted in the "other equipment..." section. it is an olympia series model 24+/464. thanks, matt

Powered mixers generally suck for sound quality. They are okay for practicing but never for recording and pretty sub par even for live use. I dont know that mixer so I cant say specificaly but I would get a seperate mixer and power amp for maximum quality and flexibility.

when i say "Biamp" i am referring to the manufacturer of the mixer, not the configuration of the poweramp. however, i do thank you for your reply

Cave Dweller,
I still have my old biamp 16 ch. board. Back in the day, they were very good, durable and versatile enough for live performance, yet clean enough for recording.
I still use it for rehearsal AND live gigging. It's a dinosaur compared to all of those neat little Mackies, etc...but you can buy a 12 or 16 ch. version for under $250 these days.
Hard to beat a value like that.
I don't know what their current product line has to offer, but the old stuff still works just fine.

Bi-amped or powered mixers can serve a useful purpose in the areas of live mixing and recording live venues. The Samson TMD500 is a decent mixer with a built in DSP efx with bussing
and routing capabilites that is perfectly suitable for a small venue
FOH soundman!

I agree the Bi-amp boards are real work horses. I travel around the country with the 1221 I think it was called. 12 channels into stereo into mono. We beat the hell out of it night after night. Never had a single problem. I think in 5 or 6 years we used it, we played over 1000 shows with no issues with the mixer.

My only complaint was that the power cord was not removable!

Back