beyerdynamics ribbon's

guhlenn

Oh REALLY????
Can anyone tell me waht the dirfference in dsound is between teh m160 and m260? Will be used for guitar amp and possibly female vocals. And all other on which i like it ;)

Thanks!

frankly i wouldnt put a ribbon in front of an amp .
some big footed guitar player might just kik it.
ribbons are very sensitive. i love all things beyer but i wouldnt do it.
also dont let vocallists blow hard into it. use a pop screen or some womens nylons strung round a coat hanger.
frankly i would ask beyer tech support on these issues.
they can answer better than me. they are way over me in expertise.
and maybe voice my concerns about ribbons and wild guiitar players and vocallists and see what they say. they might suggest a dynamic of theirs for
guitar amp. ribbons are expensive mics. just trying to save you some hurt.
peace.

manning1 said:
frankly i wouldnt put a ribbon in front of an amp .
some big footed guitar player might just kik it.
ribbons are very sensitive. i love all things beyer but i wouldnt do it.
also dont let vocallists blow hard into it. use a pop screen or some womens nylons strung round a coat hanger.
frankly i would ask beyer tech support on these issues.
they can answer better than me. they are way over me in expertise.
and maybe voice my concerns about ribbons and wild guiitar players and vocallists and see what they say. they might suggest a dynamic of theirs for
guitar amp. ribbons are expensive mics. just trying to save you some hurt.
peace.

That seems like a pretty silly reason not to use a ribbon on a guitar cab. I think it's pretty common practice actually. If everyone thought like that, everbody would be using Radio Shack mics and keeping the good ones locked up in a vault.

Is there a reason you think all guitar players are stupid oafs with large feet? :D

manning1 said:
...they might suggest a dynamic of theirs for guitar amp.

BeyerDynamic M69

I used to use an SM57 on my 4x10 and 4x12 guitar cab for recording, but that was before I found the m69. Best (meaning: most accurate reproduction of the original sound coming from the speaker) dynamic mic I've found for micing my guitar cabs, hands down. Tough as nails, it is.... :cool:

-mr moon

M160:
Features

Compact and rugged design
Unique double ribbon microphone transducer
Hypercardioid polar pattern
Extended frequency response
Excellent transparency and transient response
Warm and natural sound

Applications

• Instrumental miking such as saxophone
• Miking of drums (toms, hi-hat)
• MS-stereophony with M 130

beyerdynamic is one of few microphone manufacturers world-wide that still produce ribbon microphones. A classic one is the M 160, a dynamic double ribbon microphone.
Featuring a hypercardioid polar pattern with a noise attenuation of 25 dB at 110°, the M 160 is an outstanding microphone which is very effective for all types of remote and in-studio voice reproduction. In the recording studio, the M 160 is recommended for miking string instruments such as violins, violas, cellos and for pianos, saxophones as well as for hi-hat, and toms. The non-glare black surface of the M 160 and its small dimension allow the unobtrusive use in TV or film studios. In conjunction with the M 130 dynamic double ribbon microphone the M 160 is ideal for stereo recordings in MS technique.

Technical Specifications

Transducer type Dynamic
Operating principle Pressure gradient
Frequency response (distant miking) 40 - 18,000 Hz
Polar pattern Hypercardioid
Side attenuation > 25 dB at 110°
Open circuit voltage at 1 kHz (0dB = 1V/Pa) 1.0 mV/Pa ≡ -60 dBV
Nominal impedance 200 Ω
Load impedance ≥ 1000 Ω
Diaphragm Pure aluminium
Case/finish Brass
Connector 3-pin XLR male
Length 156 mm
Shaft diameter 23 mm
Head diameter 38 mm
Weight without cable 156 g

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/com/product/index_s.php3?find=M160&Submit.x=7&Submit.y=3

M260:

Features

Rugged metal casing
Ribbon transducer performance in a rugged, versatile configuration
Hypercardioid polar pattern
Extremely high gain before feedback
Fast, transient response
Wide, flat frequency response

Applications

• Vocals
• Instrumental miking
• Speech

The M 260 is used for vocals and miking instruments at broadcast, recording and film studios. Its flat frequency response and natural, warm "ribbon" sonic profile make it a highly effective element of the digital recording process. The hypercardioid polar pattern provides an extremely high gain before feedback and elimination of lateral noise (maximum at 115°). The M 260 is equipped with a built-in high pass filter which compensates the close miking effect, when the mic is applied very close to an instrument. The microphone also features a high insensitivity towards magnetic stray fields and extreme temperatures. The rugged grille protects the microphone system against accidental hits and kicks.

Technical Specifications

Transducer type Dynamic
Operating principle Pressure gradient
Frequency response (distant miking) 40 - 18,000 Hz
Polar pattern Hypercardioid
Side attenuation > 20 dB at 115°
Open circuit voltage at 1 kHz (0dB = 1V/Pa) 1.2 mV/Pa ≡ -58 dBV
Nominal impedance 200 Ω
Load impedance ≥ 1000 Ω
Diaphragm Pure aluminium
Case/finish Brass
Connector 3-pin XLR male
Length 163 mm
Shaft diameter 24 mm
Head diameter 43,5 mm
Weight without cable approx. 230 g

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/com/product/index_s.php3?find=M260&Submit.x=11&Submit.y=1

It's all on www.beyerdynamic.com

Have a nice day.

Since i'm not a total idiot i know about google and thus also found the beyerdynamic site... :D However specs don't tell about sound ... So how is the dif in sound?

I'm aware of the delicacy issue. But i'm the big footed (size varries with brand but yes, it's around 45=big in european measure... ) guitarist. I tend to be calm while recording. :p

i will kill the female ( i know where she ives, she 's in my band, i see her every week) when she dares to so much as startle the ribbon...

I willl check out the M69, and i will ask beyer...

I'll keep you posted

guhlenn said:
btw; Han, nice studio!

How's that M88?

Oh, hi! Thank you. Like you can see in the Beyer specs, the M160 is mainly an instrument mic and the M260 is better fit for vocals.

The M88 is a wonderful classic microphone, very versatile and a very good vocal mic that sounds close to a Neumann U87. You can see it as the hi end version of the M69. The M88 has a nicer high tone and more lows than the M69, which is a very nice mic as well.

Like Mr Moon says, the M69 is an exellent amp mic, much nicer than the SM57 IMHO, the M88 can be even a tad nicer on amps, but it will also shine om kick, snare, toms, horns, sax and many more applications.

BTW, I have an M260 and I've used it the last three weeks on trumpet, great and smooth sound, I hope my next ribbon will be an M160 (or a Coles:D)

Han said:
Like Mr Moon says, the M69 is an exellent amp mic, much nicer than the SM57 IMHO, the M88 can be even a tad nicer on amps, but it will also shine om kick, snare, toms, horns, sax and many more applications.

I'll second the M88, that's a great dynamic mic. It's tight on the lows where a 57 is sloppy.

I have an M69...

...and also think its a good amp mic.

A lot smoother than an SM57 ...... but sometimes the grit of a 57 on the grill is just what the doctor ordered IMO.

I've also used it with good results on snare.
Needed some EQing but the main thing was that the M69 has a very tight hyper-cardiod pattern and has AWSOME rejection so it came in very useful for killing hi-hat bleed.

-mike

hang dawg - i wasnt knocking guitar players with big feet....
i guess i saw a friend once with a vintage mic - and it was noones fault ,
someone just tripped accidentally and bingo.. off crashed the mic.
accidents can and do happen. thats all i was trying to say.
sorry if i offended anyone or anything....

relax man... noone was hurt, no mic was injured... LOL

I'm just wondering what to get... Since i'll be paying for the goddamn thing it better be killer on guitar cabs... Maybe i can have her chip in... i'll see...

Thanks though !

@Han; Do you have a soudn smaple of guitars recorded with the m260?

G.

No, I've not used the ribbon on amps, I must have tried and didn't like the sound I guess. I've used it on a bass amp in a bigband recording because I wanted it to sound as close as posible to an upright. The mic sounds very smooth.

On guitar amps I prefer the Sennheiser MD421 or 441, the Beyer M69, M88 or M201. I've used the SP B1 on geetar amps and liked the sound.

Ribbons sound very smooth and fairly dark, violins, trumpets and instruments that can sound edgy are almost asking for a ribbon.

You are free to come and try the 260 at my place if you like.

Peace, Han

Back