Beyer Mic Worth Having Repaired?

I came across two Beyer Hypercardioid Dynamic Ribbon M260 mics that are not working that I paid quite a bit for about 20 years ago. Would these mics be useful enough to have repaired? I can't remember if they sounded good when they were working.

GOD, YES, they're worth getting repaired, but not by Beyer. Send them to Stephen Sank in Albuquerque and have him do the DX mod on them. He can make them sound a lot like an RCA 77DX, using the original RCA ribbon stock. His father designed a lot of the lod wonderful RCA ribbon mics. He charges about $125 per mic to do this and you'll have a killer set of mics.

Actually, I think Beyer charges even more than Stephen and they don't sound near as good stock.

Damn Harvey, you beat me to the punch.
Mr. Elephant, you would't want to sell one of those mics would you?

Please dont listen to these guys, they dont know what they're talking about. I will be glad to take these mics off your hands <g>, you know..them being worthless and all...hehehe

Thanks For The Feedback

Sounds like they are worth repairing, I will have to give Mr Sank a try, and ametth.....na I don't think I will sell them, thanks again.

Yeah, Stephen will set you right with these mics...your're gonna be amazed by how good they sound when you get them back. Good luck!!

ametth,

i cant believe youd stoop to such trickery.....wish i woulda thought of that first:D

About 8 years ago, I had the same problem...2 blown M260's (cons. serial #'s, no less), and the only option was to send them to Beyer. I got the mics for free, so I could justify the 210.00 (!) each that Beyer charged...they are now wonderful mics, and I use them all the time...
But now, the Sank mod is the cheese, IMHO...
1/2 the price, and, although I haven't heard the M260 mod (I *do* have an M500 and a B&O that Stephen modded--both are great mics), this is the way to go...
Just do it...you'll love having those mics around for female vox, drum overheads, amp cabs, etc. etc...
Get a couple old Ampex 350 tape recorder electronics or a couple old Altec 1567a's, or anything with a *lot* of gain...it's a great combo...

Bruce Harvie
The "Mandolin Graffiti" liner notes are at:
http://www.bruceharvie.com

Back