Beyer M500 N (C) Problem

tkingen

Djembes Rock
I just acquired a Beyer M500 ribbon mic that sounds like a transistor radio. Any ideas about what may be causing this problem?

I just acquired a Beyer M500 ribbon mic that sounds like a transistor radio. Any ideas about what may be causing this problem?

Plug in the mic and shake carefully side-to-side. You will hear a slight "clunking" sound. If that is the case, the ribbon is sagging.

This is common and re-tensioning is the fix.

Plug in the mic and shake carefully side-to-side. You will hear a slight "clunking" sound. If that is the case, the ribbon is sagging.

This is common and re-tensioning is the fix.

I'm a newbie to ribbon mics. Is retensioning something I can do myself?

I'm a newbie to ribbon mics. Is retensioning something I can do myself?

Sometimes, if you are reasonably dexterous and depending on the construction of the ribbon holder. I'll have to look at one of my M500's to see how the ribbon is clamped in to know how easy this might be. I've looked before, but I donlt remember. Beyer ribbons are reasonably hefty (at least comparatively) so I expect they would be decent to work with, although I've never had to retension any of mine. I've had the entire ribbon clamp be loose inside a M500, but that was simply fixed with a dab of silicone adhesive and had no effect on the output. Pull off the top of the screen and see what you have going on.

Guts of a Beyer M500

Here's the inside of my 1st mic, a Beyer M500 that I bought in 1978 from Harvey Radio in Manhattan.
Still alive & well.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• M500_guts.jpg
    M500_guts.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 30
Back