Better than Presonus Firebox for the $$$?

1Way

I am currently trying out the Line 6 guitar port and it's ok, but the recording software is kinda gimmicky, not very powerful/flexible.

So I'm looking at returning it for something like the Presonus Firebox for example, but I am looking for suggestions.

If you offer suggestions, please say why so I can better understand what to look out for, both pros and cons.

Thanks!

I am using an Alesis IO|2 and I must say that it doesn't suck. Only using one channel now for a SM7B, which works well, surprisingly, and I love the analog controls. I was using a 1010LT before and I grew to hate having to control shit with the mouse

For $150 it has been a very very pleasent surprise.

wheelema said:
I am using an Alesis IO|2 and I must say that it doesn't suck. Only using one channel now for a SM7B, which works well, surprisingly, and I love the analog controls. I was using a 1010LT before and I grew to hate having to control shit with the mouse

For $150 it has been a very very pleasent surprise.
Sounds great, I almost went with the multimix12, but I heard from more than one poster that they have some durability issues, so I backed away. Maybe they are not so bad after all.

I sorta figured I'd end up liking the faderport for hands on controls, the only downfall is that it only has one fader control, they could have easily put on several. Conversely it does have all the transport functions and more, so I suppose it will work out nicely. But that brought my firewire interface to 500 bucks...

I got the Firebox. It's my first proper soundcard. It has been very good with the mics I have. (CADm179 and Behringer C2's)

I can tell that I need to end up getting power conditioning, the rig is that sensative. I had planned on getting a good mic, but I am a bit surprised at how nice it is, that and the mic pres on the presonus are impressive.

I will have to do a search for that mic to see how people like using it for loud guitar amp cab mic'ing, because I'm afraid it might not take the spl's very well since it's so senative, has a 3micron (something:p)instead of a more common 6!

Thanks Monkey Allen for the vote of confidence for the Presonus firebox, I think it's very cool. Just have to get it working with my DAW now. :eek: :D

1Way said:
I sorta figured I'd end up liking the faderport for hands on controls, the only downfall is that it only has one fader control, they could have easily put on several. Conversely it does have all the transport functions and more, so I suppose it will work out nicely. But that brought my firewire interface to 500 bucks...

They could've put several faders on it, but that's not the idea behind it. If one wants more faders, they'd have to opt for a Mackie surface or some of the other offerings out there. The FaderPort is a decent idea, but I think once you get used to the the one fader, you're going to want to have at least seven more! :)

If you could only afford a one fader surface, you should've waited for this:
http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/AlphaTrack

Looks to be a better design than the FaderPort. It's not expected to ship until sometime in Jan. 07 though.

warble2 said:
They could've put several faders on it, but that's not the idea behind it. If one wants more faders, they'd have to opt for a Mackie surface or some of the other offerings out there. The FaderPort is a decent idea, but I think once you get used to the the one fader, you're going to want to have at least seven more! :)

If you could only afford a one fader surface, you should've waited for this:
http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/AlphaTrack

Looks to be a better design than the FaderPort. It's not expected to ship until sometime in Jan. 07 though.
Very cool, thanks for the tip. I haven't opened it up and still have the receipt.

Could you please explain why you think it's better, or give the clearest benefit for going with this unit over the faderport?
thanks...

Somehow I lost track of this tread.....

I would've just pointed you to the respective Websites to compare features. The LCD display is a great feature IMO.

Back