better sound

tremblayj

so i got into recording a while back but i haven't really spent much time on it because i have put most of my time on playing and performing. i have been using the recording to just get my ideas down but now i am getting my first condenser mic(studio projects b1)and am ready to get some better sounding recordings. my one prob is that my room does not really have good acoustics at all. i have a pretty small room with a closet that is about 2 1/2 feet deep and goes along the back wall. the room is just a square so it needs some help. my question was could i just build a few of the absorbtion panels that many speak of on here and just put them up in like a semi circle for the times that i am recording. i am really just looking for the best way to eliminate any noise from my small room so that i can get the best possible recordings. any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

i am really just looking for the best way to eliminate any noise from my small room so that i can get the best possible recordings.
Eliminate noise? Are you talking about reflections in the room or actual environmental noise transmitting into your room(meaning soundproofing)?

no i don't mean noise from anything i mean like the reflections. the room just sounds really bad and that translates into the recordings. i go upstairs into our big open living/dining/kitchen area with the raised ceilings and it sounds great. i would be satisfied with just getting a good sound in and then adding effects. sorry i didn't clarify that.

well i like to record whenever iget ideas and the only way to record upstairs is to bring my whole computer upstairs and set it up in the living room. and on top of that i am living in a house with seven people, my mom wouldn't even think of letting me bring my computer upstairs. ya it would be the ideal situation but i got to make the best with what i got. sorry i didn't clarify that either.

Down and dirty cheap room conversion

Hi,
I understand your question completeley - little cash, small space, bright room reflections. If you want some quick improvement and don't want to spend any money, do this:

1. Put two bookcases against the furthest wall from your recording spot or amp(the wall the amp faces). Fill them with different sized books, leave some open spots at intervals, lay some books on their sides. This is a cheap (free if you have the cases and books already) and easy diffuser.

2. Hang thick blankets from ceiling to floor. Hang these about 6"-a foot away from the wall itself (depends on how much room area you want to sacrifice). These will help deaden the room and absorb some sound.

3. Go get some acoustic ceiling tiles at Lowes or Home Depo. These are cheap and come in packs of 8 or so. Get the 4' X 2' size. Take these panels and put 2 back to back so the finished side is face out on both sides. Glue them together and tape the ends up with masking tape. You can cut these panels into "L" shapes for stability and to create backside space to trap soundwaves prior to gluing and place them on shelves around the room or make stands out of wood blocks and set them in the corners or use them as baffles anywhere. These are cheap and easy deflectors/traps and when placed right can create nice sweet spots for playback.

4. Bass traps you are probably better off paying for. I shopped around and got some cheap traps at an online foam wharehoues that sent them pre cut and ready to hang. They were MUCH cheaper than Auralex. Any foam you can scrounge up and put in the corners of your room will help. (start up high and cover the ceiling to wall 'T' area in all four corners then work your way down the corner)

This reply turned out longer than I meant. Let me know if you have specific questions - I've done this and now have a bigger room that I've treated and get great results from. I can help you.

Shawn

Shawn, I have a similar problem to tremblayj so I hope he doesn't mind me chiming in here.

That is a rough drawing of my recording/mixing area (minus a bed and a couch etc, but I can work that in later).

I was wondering what you thought might be the best cheap solution for a decent improvement in internal acoustics. I'm sure that the set of windows on 1 and a half walls aren't great for it.

I'm thinking at the moment that I'll see if I can hang up some thick blankets a little in from most of the walls and see if I can find some cheap carpet to lay down. I'm a little confused as to how I'd be able to place the bass traps in the corners if I already have blankets there, or do I just hang them on the inside of the blankets?

Any other specific suggestions about the room or placement of things would be much appreciated!

wel i just wanted to say thanks for the great response. those sound like some really great cheap ways to make the room better. but just as another question does this mean that making some panels that i can take out when i record is not going to work. what i mean is could i just make a half sized wall that would absorbe a lot and just deaden the sounds from around the room. this may seem like a weird question but i am looking for something that i can do that i can just take out and set up for recording then put away again. i will try some of your ideas tho. if i there is nothing i can do like my idea than i will just stick to your original ideas.

Hi guys.

Bendeho:

The bass traps are basically just foam triangles that are 3-4 feet long and fasten into your corners with velcro or staples or glue. What you want to do is put one in each corner up high by the ceiling - it will fit flush there. then hang your blankets or wall absorbers (foam) along the wall - start your blanket or foam next to the trap. It's okay to leave a little wall area between your traps and the wall absorbers. Having a little reverb from the walls is not necesarrily a bad thing.

Trem,
You can easily make a half sized wall out of acoustic ceiling tiles and bring it out when you need it - I have a set mounted permanently about 4 feet off the floor on opposite walls as well as a free standing set I use for drums and isolation.

Good luck!
Shawn

tremblayj said:
well i like to record whenever iget ideas and the only way to record upstairs is to bring my whole computer upstairs and set it up in the living room. and on top of that i am living in a house with seven people, my mom wouldn't even think of letting me bring my computer upstairs. ya it would be the ideal situation but i got to make the best with what i got. sorry i didn't clarify that either.
tell ur mom shes selfish and move out. then when u get rich and famous buy her house and evict her. hahahaha. no seriously tho sound proofing in ur recording room of choice is a great choice in this situation

tremblayj said:
my question was could i just build a few of the absorbtion panels that many speak of on here and just put them up in like a semi circle for the times that i am recording.

That should work.

Back