Better Quality?

Johnbmx26

Hello,
I have a Yamaha MG12 mixer, and Audix fusion mics. I'm recording into my ibook G4 w/ a griffin imic.. I have a RCA Y cable from the rec out of the mixer, into my computer and Im recording with garageband. So far, I havn't gotten good results. I'm thinking maybe it's the poor quality sound card?
or maybe something else? What kind of soundcard do you guys reccommend?

Also, a friend of mine recording straight from his mixer into his minidisc w/ great results. Would this be possible with any mp3 players? Is there any downsides to recording onto the mp3 player, then putting it on the computer. Rather than straight from the mixer to the computer?

Thanks
John

Well, one thing I would suggest is using some kind of tone generator to set the levels together so that 0 on your mixer's meters, are 0 on the Comupter's meter readout. That's number one, because that will make sure that you are getting a similar signal between the two.
It very well could be the soundcard - since I am not familiar with that....I would not suggest recording on the Mp3 player just because of compression issues....mp3 is a special data compression format from what I understand, so it would not be the first choice for recording in.

Make sure that you're getting a clean signal, and also make sure that you aren't using cheap RCA cables, because those could be a major culprit themselves.

If you can Solder (or no somebody who can) make a set of cables yourself using Mic cable and Switchcraft RCA plugs - just to make sure you have top notch cables between the Mixer and the PC.

I have heard a lot of complaints about garage band.

I never used it, but I did use Logic - and I can tell you that Logic on a Mac kicks major butt. YOu may need to invest in a better soundcard - In all honesty you probably should post this in the Computer recording section, because there's surely a few people over there recording on a similar setup.

Tim

i used to own a set of the fusion mics
they suck
make sure the kit is tuned properly, and place the mics as best you can but don't expect mericals

Actually, they have a kinda flattering low end, but the mid's and hi's just aren’t there in my experience.

I have the fusion mics and I agree they aren't great, lots of corrective eqing can overcome the sound of the mics but why go thru that much trouble, just save up for some good ones.

Back