best way to use compressor with Tascam2488

justinm.

Does anyone know? I've tried different methods, like just plugging a mic into the compressor, and then plugging the compressor into the 2488. I just cannot seem to pull any of my recordings together.

Lately, I've been reading that compressing should be left till the very end, when it's time for mastering. That seemed strange to me, but maybe I've misunderstood.

Thank you.

The 2488 has an internal compressor that you can apply as a MICX4 or MICX8 effect. I've found it useful to compress a little while tracking vocals and bass. As to the quality of the compressor compared with outboard compressors - I can't speak to that.

I've read that too,the mastering can't remove it.

GM at Abbey rd, is quoted saying they compressed coming in and going out and maybe some more in the middle.

but it makes sense, you can't remove it before mastering. and we assume they believe they have a better "secret" way of mastering, multiband and limit...:confused:

I liked the 2488....but never used the compressor much.
There is a limiter function on the final master or premaster ...and it worked and was simple. The seperate track comp I never used, so no comment.

you can make a very very good demo with that thing, and you can fine tune with HR mastering software on the pc, for a "really" good demo.

Is it Abbey Road Studios quality, whose to say?

I've heard some new HR stuff that makes my old favorites sound like there was a blanket over my speakers!

a big thick wool blanket...... :eek:

I use the mic effects compressors on individual elements (insert) and the dynamics compressor on the whole mix.

Typical settings I use would be a ratio of 3:1, low threshold and fast response on the bass, lead vocals, snare and kick drum. I sometimes also apply to acoustic or clean guitars at a lower ratio of say 2:1

For the dynamics compressor I opt for a much lower ratio of between 1.5:1 and 2:1 and a slower response time.

I master on my laptop using SoundForge adding some subtle EQ and adding a little more compression with WaveHammer. I also use my HiFI for listening during mastering as opposed to my VL-X5 monitors.

the hardest thing for me with my 2488 is that the compressor doesn't use typical measurement like 3:1, 2:1. Its just a number between like 1-100. That is my biggest complaint.

Now this may be different between the 2488 and the mkII (which is what I have).... but, you can add/remove the compression at any point before or after recording. That is a big plus. It's like you can't screw up your sound permanently, just undo it if you don't like it.

I also use a DBX 266 for compressing before recording, and sometimes I will ahve to throw a few tracks away to get it right. A big no-no is using the ubilt in compressor AND an outboard one like my DBX unit. You will end up with a very weird sound, and it will basically never sound decent at all.

Oh yeah, and for vocals, I find that I have better luck with the internal compressor, and often for guitars, I do much better with my DBX unit. Not saying one is better than the other, but that just seems to work well for me.

Yes, I always track without compression because that encourages the performer to control their playing dynamics naturally. I only use an insert compressor where an instrument level is inconsistent in the mix or occasionally for effect e.g. increase sustain.

I think a little compression on the stereo buss during mix down can really help all the instruments gel together but I try not to go heavy as I like to hear the dynamics of a song and I'm also aware that further compression is almost always used during mastering

I think a little compression on the stereo buss during mix down can really help all the instruments gel together but I try not to go heavy as I like to hear the dynamics of a song and I'm also aware that further compression is almost always used during mastering

I totally agree with this. Using a little bit of compression on the stereo bus can help add cohesiveness to the song, but don't use it too much or put yourself in a situation where it feels almost necessary to use a ton of it. If you get to that point, you need to stop what you're doing, go back through each track, and figure out why it's not coming together more already. You should look more into individually compressing some of the key tracks like vocals, lead guitar, etc.

I hate to stray from the topic, but you may also try using some subtractive EQ on individual tracks, or even the stereo bus. Hope this info helps. :)

Thank you for all the replies. They all help in some way because I'm very very new to recording.

I must be doing something wrong since I never seem to notice a big difference in the sound when using the RNC, but I hear a huge difference with the compressors built into the Tascam.

Justin, if you are using the outboard compressor, you have to loop its output back into the input of another input channel and assign that second input to another track, just as you would with any other outboard effect.

For example:
Input A assigned to Track 1
Input B assigned to Track 2
Microphone --> Input A
Track 1 SEND --> compressor input
Compressor output --> Input B

So Track 2 ends up with the compressed signal and Track 1 is the raw, "dry" signal.

You can record your vocals onto that first track and keep it, then experiment with looping through the compressor to the second track until you get what you want. That way you don't have to keep re-recording your vocals.

Justin, if you are using the outboard compressor, you have to loop its output back into the input of another input channel and assign that second input to another track, just as you would with any other outboard effect.

For example:
Input A assigned to Track 1
Input B assigned to Track 2
Microphone --> Input A
Track 1 SEND --> compressor input
Compressor output --> Input B

So Track 2 ends up with the compressed signal and Track 1 is the raw, "dry" signal.

You can record your vocals onto that first track and keep it, then experiment with looping through the compressor to the second track until you get what you want. That way you don't have to keep re-recording your vocals.

I tried this and it didn't work for me. All I was getting was noise coming through. What could I have done wrong? I'll explain what I did, in case I misunderstood and that was what caused the problem.

- microphone into track 1 & input A
- fx send 1 into compressor input
- compressor output into track 2 & input B

Is this correct? Track 2 had nothing but noise for me.

I tried this and it didn't work for me. All I was getting was noise coming through. What could I have done wrong? I'll explain what I did, in case I misunderstood and that was what caused the problem.

- microphone into track 1 & input A
- fx send 1 into compressor input
- compressor output into track 2 & input B

Is this correct? Track 2 had nothing but noise for me.
Yes, this is correct. Did you adjust the gain trim knob for Input B?

Sounds to me like its the compressor settings that may be off - way too much gain boost will result in a lot of noise.

Back