best way to mic OCDP snare

This Is Poison

my drummer has a 20 ply OCDP vented snare and I was wondering if anyone has ever mic'd one of these. the snare is at our practice space so I can't mess around with micing techniques right this second, but does anyone know what kind of results i might get from micing one of the vents? thanks!

Not to be a smart ass but.....there is only one way to find out. I've never mic'ed the snare in question but I try to use the same approach on anything I record. Messing with placement with a good set of phones on or through monitors if you have a seperate control room is always your best bet. I forgot to add that many people do like mic'ing the "side" or the vent of the snare. It can sound more balanced if your only using one mic.

Well, like I said, I don't exactly have "free access" to the snare at all times to experiment. He is one of my best friends, but even so, the average person doesn't just lend out a $1400 handcrafted snare for their friend to test.
Although I'm sure he wouldn't really care if he was present while I played with it...

yes, I have read on here that some people mic the side of the snare, but I haven't read about anyone micing a vent on a vented snare... especially one that is 20 PLY. :p this thing is deafening.

your input is definitely appreciated though, so thank you!

i would imagine if you were micing a vent you would need to be careful to make sure you dont get any popping due to the air coming from it. I'm sure youre aware of that anyway:)

One mic in each hole! Lol. But yeah, I personally wouldn't mic it every differently than usual, a mic at one of the vents would probably get distorted pretty quickly from the rushs of air. Though I really don't know...can always give it a shot!

mic it off axis, to the side of one of the vents with a sdc, also mic the top normally. I've miced them a couple of times, but usually end up swiching to a big Edge (DW) or like a 5" to 7"x13". It seems easier to get good sounds out of them over the OCDP. For live they work well, lots of attack and volume, but no body. Great for fast punk etc... good luck :D

As has been said, the only sure way to find out is to experiment.

And sorry, but this has to be said..........a $1400 snare with a $200 sound. OCDP use Keller shells and essentially generic style hardware like a lot of other builders, a fact that is too slowly penetrating the minds of young impressionable drummers. :rolleyes:

:cool:

so... Travis Barker must not be a real drummer... :eek:

He loves his OCDP stuff, so do alot of other west coast punk guys, I'm not a punk guy, I don't laugh at them, but I don't usually play them. They don't fit with the styles I play. I personally like DWs, I own three of thier kits, but I do own one of OCDPs snares. It's mostly for large live stuff because it is LOUD. Guess I'm not a real drummer. I wonder why people pay me so much to do session work... :rolleyes:

first of all....travis barker is a joke or a guy kids call a drummer

also...travis plays OCDP because he is a partial owner in the company...he gets whatever he wants...and you can tell he plays ocdp...his drums have never sounded good!

Blue Groove said:
so... Travis Barker must not be a real drummer... :eek:

He loves his OCDP stuff, so do alot of other west coast punk guys, I'm not a punk guy, I don't laugh at them, but I don't usually play them. They don't fit with the styles I play. I personally like DWs, I own three of thier kits, but I do own one of OCDPs snares. It's mostly for large live stuff because it is LOUD. Guess I'm not a real drummer. I wonder why people pay me so much to do session work... :rolleyes:

There is no reason to spend so much money on keller shells. Its utter bullshit. I can order a 1 1/2 thick snare drum made of bubinga segmented shell, for about half the cost of that snare.

On average, a 7" x 14" 10 ply Keller shell costs around $47US list or street, 20 ply shells are frequently made by cutting and inserting a second 10 ply inside another.........so let's say $90. Hoops, lugs and strainer may add another $150 to $200 on top so for around $300 you've got the material costs to make your own. Drum companies like OCDP buy in bulk at wholesale prices so their costs are way below these figures, it doesn't take much to figure out that they're grossly overpricing their products.

LOL, west coast punks?

Yeaaaaaah, because punks have enough dough to blow over a grand on a snare. :p :p :p

If you've got enough money to buy a drum like that, why are you home recording and not dropping cash on a "real" studio?

I play sessions in big Nashville studios like Blackbird and Darkhorse(not country usually), they pay me to do it, not the other way around. How do you know what someone has in their "home" studio? It could be $200 invested or $2,000,000. :)

I personally own a full production studio at my house with two HD2s with 96khz a/ds, a Studer 2", a Neve 24 track w/1073s, a control24 for mixing, Tannoy and Event monitoring, and about $60,000 in mics and outboard stuff. Plus the control room, live room, and iso booths were built for sound quality by a company I am a partner in. ;)

I could pay to play at a large studio whenever I want, but why do that when I can make money? :D

Blue Groove said:
I play sessions in big Nashville studios like Blackbird and Darkhorse(not country usually), they pay me to do it, not the other way around. How do you know what someone has in their "home" studio? It could be $200 invested or $2,000,000. :)

I personally own a full production studio at my house with two HD2s with 96khz a/ds, a Studer 2", a Neve 24 track w/1073s, a control24 for mixing, Tannoy and Event monitoring, and about $60,000 in mics and outboard stuff. Plus the control room, live room, and iso booths were built for sound quality by a company I am a partner in. ;)

I could pay to play at a large studio whenever I want, but why do that when I can make money? :D

wank, wank, good for you, you've got cash, you get paid, congrats, etc... :)

I play shitty dive bars, with west coast punks, that don't play OCDPs.

And who the fuck are you to question who can or can't come to these forums? :rolleyes:

Some, (or most of) the best information that has been posted here over the years has come from pro guys that have their own extensive studio set ups and NOT from pimply faced wanna bes with their cracked software trying to record in their bedroom.

Geeezuz........some people :rolleyes: .

and the guys like that, that give good information dont flaunt there gear so everyone respects them...the impress with their experience

I'm not saying that alot of people use them, but alot of guys I know would like to. That's all I'm saying, like I said I'm not a huge fan of them. You play dives, I do sessions. It's about loving to play, not where you play or if you get payed. I'd still play just as much for free, I've just networked for 15 years to get here and I consider myself fortunate. BTW, I only charge $40 max an hour for my studio, I do it because I love it.

WOW. When I posted the thread I had no idea it was going to start some huge argument.

First of all, to all you morons who assume someone is rich because they have nice equipment, learn to hold your tongue because some of us work for the things we have. My drummer bought that drum with his own hard-earned money when he was 16 years old. Every single person in my band has literally bought every single piece of their own equipment, with their own money. we take great offense to anyone who says otherwise.

all I wanted to know was how to get the best sound out of the snare.

To all the others who say the drum sounds horrible, way to judge something before you've ever even heard it in person.
Because those drums are hand-made, every single one has its own unique sound. Besides that, all drummers tune their drums differently and get different sounds out of them. So, you're all making very naive statements.

also, the snare sounds AMAZING live. nearly every single sound tech who has rigged up his drums for live performances has said so. unfortunately, it DOES NOT sound so great in the studio, which is why I came here for help.

I have to say, there is some great information/people on this site, but some of you people are just plain retarded.

Back