Best way to connect master out to mixer?

NationalSandwic

hello...just got a mixing desk into my DAW

i'm wondering what the best way is to connect my PC master out to my mixing desk? into a stereo channel or into the "stereo return"?
then, am i correct in understanding that the Insert points on the channel strips and the Mix Insert points are "stereo" points that you'd use a y-cable going in to and out of an FX unit (compressor, reverb, etc.)?

i don't know if it's my imagination, but i used to take sound right out the soundcard interface into my speakers (getting monitors soon! :)) and now that i'm pulling it out of the desk it seems to sound a hellavu lot better. is it my imagination? i'm thinking the desk is putting out a stronger signal, which means i don't need to crank my speakers AT ALL, and so i'm hearing a stronger, cleaner signal through the speakers.
one thing i've never been clear on is how to manage/compensate for differences in output strength in different software and hardware units. i'd be surprised if my soundcard has the same output capabilities as my desk.

the desk's fan makes a bit of noise. suggestions on how to deal with this?

thanks so much :D
oh and a great christmas to you who will be celebrating it!

NationalSandwic said:
erm, sorry....was that too much of a newbie post for this forum?
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I'm not sure just what you question actually is. You kind of rambled all over the place there. :o

G.

ha
ok, i spose i did a bit.
the questions then were:
- what is the best way is to connect my PC audio interface master out to my mixing desk? into a stereo channel strip or into the "stereo return"?

- are the Insert points (on the channel strips and those labelled "Mix Insert") "stereo" points that you'd use a y-cable going in to and out of an FX unit (compressor, reverb, etc.)?

- the desk's fan makes a bit of noise. suggestions on how to deal with this?

Probably send it to the channel.

The kind of cable you use on an insert is called a "send/return" cable, which is different than a y-cable (even though they look very similar).

I agree with Alby that the stereo channel will probably wind up being the better way to go, but it won't hurt anything to try them both just to see for yourself and see if one sounds better or fells better than the other to you.

While a send/return cable is indeed different from a mono "Y" splitter cable, I think - somebody correct me if I'm wrong about this - that the wiring on a send/return is actually the same as a stereo-to-dual-mono splitter cable. The left mono branch would equate to the send and the right mono branch would equate to the right. However, a good quality studio-grade send/receive cable will be of better construnction and potential sound quality than your run-of-the-mill Radio Shack stereo splitter cable (though there are cheapo run-of-the-mill send/receive cables also).

As far as the fan, there's not a lot you can do other than isolate the desk from the recording environment (via distance or walls or both) or open up the case and replace the fan with a quieter one. You don't really want to try and block the noise and take the chance of blocking fresh airflow to the fan. The catch to replacing the fan is that you would need to make sure you chose a fan preferably of the same size and definitely of the same or better flow rate specification that is specifically designed and marketed as a "quiet" or "low noise" fan. They do make such fans, but make sure they push as much air per minute as the original.

G.

I believe that's true about the stereo-to-dual-mono splitter cable. But there are also splitter cables that send exactly the same signals down the same number of wires on both branches. This is true for both TR and TRS splitter cables. The thing is, they would look very similar to a send/return cable unless you inspected the ends closely, which is really the only point I'm making.

NationalSandwic, if you make sure to ask for a "send/return" cable at the store you'll be sure to get the right kind. Asking for a "Y" cable or a splitter cable could potentially lead to going home with the wrong kind of cable.

well...i've put it into the stereo return mixer inserts, and it sounds good to me... also frees up a stereo channel for recording.

when i said y-cable i meant send/return y-cable, simply cos that the name people have used for it. so yup, a stereo TRS splitting into two mono TS cables. ok i'm on top of this, i think. i'll just have to deal with the fan noise 'til i can afford otherwise =] thanks

One thing you can do about fan noise is try to reduce any reflected noise bouncing off walls and other furniture. You may be surprised to find out how much of that is going on.

What you would do is put some sound absorbing tiles on the wall facing the fan exhaust. Not so close as to block the fan! You could also cut some sound absorbing tiles and shape them into a little tunnel around the fan, again careful not block the airflow. This should significantly reduce the fan noise you are hearing.

Back