Best wav to mp3 converter?

cmorris975

Hi there,

I am looking to convert wav files to mp3s for professional use. Can anyone recommend a really good program for this?

Thanks,

Chris

I prefer the "LAME" mp3 encoder.
LAME MP3 Encoder

Not familiar with others, but this one, which is native in my DAW - Reaper - has bitrate options up the kazoo. Try it out. The price is right - free.

Good luck.

Boot

I've always been happy with LAME, myself. I usually use V0 encoding, which is 320 kbps but variable bit-rate. So the files are the highest quality (for an MP3, anyways) but use only the least amount of data necessary. In Reaper, it's labeled "target quality (VBR)", with the quality set to "100 (best)".

Good luck!

I use the LAME as well, but in Audacity (which may work well for you). It is a pretty versatile tool.

You can bring in multiple songs in Audacity, then do an export multi file out, using a Tag Template, have the basics of the tag, then just update what is required for each file.

I've always been happy with LAME, myself. I usually use V0 encoding, which is 320 kbps but variable bit-rate. So the files are the highest quality (for an MP3, anyways) but use only the least amount of data necessary. In Reaper, it's labeled "target quality (VBR)", with the quality set to "100 (best)".

Good luck!

"V0", got it. Thanks again all!

I just use wavelab which uses the fraunhofer codec, but I prefer FLAC for many many reasons but I don't want to go into a lecture here.

I think FLAC is a better route, but doesn't really matter as it is not as well supported. I personally don't think it is an argument which is, sound wise better, but until FLAC is supported better, really hard to use for the general population.

FLAC, like WAV, is a lossless encoding format. So the resulting files are higher fidelity than ones encoded by a lossy format such as MP3 or M4A. But MP3 files are much smaller and have a higher degree of acceptance by users and media players. It's a total trade-off: higher fidelity = larger file. Smaller file = lower fidelity.

For casual listening, a V0 or 320 kbps encoded MP3 will satisfy most listeners. Some high-frequency information is notably missing, as is some of the dynamics or "punch", and I notice a lack of "depth", but this lack of depth may just be a result of the other couple of factors. I had been listening to crappy quality MP3s for years, like 128 kbps...at the time I just got used to it. Then the next time I listened to a CD on a nice stereo, I was amazed at what I had been missing. In the years since then, I've been happy with the quality of 320 kbps MP3 for casual listening, but I certainly recognize that they aren't as high-fidelity as lossless formats.

Back