best wah pedals

Hey man.

I have a Dunlop 535Q that I like a lot. It has a 5 way toggle switch on it which variates the wah frequency. I find this switch pretty versitile and useful. Overall, I like the sounds this pedal can produce, although it is real noisy, but I think noise is part of the deal with wahs in general.

I would also look into Snarling Dogs...I think thats what they're called. They look real bad, but I keep hearing good things about them.

I've got a Crybaby and it sounds pretty good - a little bit noisier than I'd like but I've had it a while so maybe I need a new pot in it.

I've heard some bad things about Morley wah's so I wouldn't bother with them.

On the other hand I've heard some great things from Vox wah's. You might wanna check this out.

Hey man!
I have one of both worlds, the crybaby Jimmy
Hendrix and a Morley Pro. I think it depends on the sound you want to hear.
For example, for those ultra modulation (talk box style) tone you'll have a better tone with Morley (specially after the dist)
But in you need TONE, and I mean GOOD VINTAGE TONE you have nothing todo with Morley and you have to go for a crybaby or VOX.

I have a couple of really old ones , a crybaby from the Thomas Organ Co. that snarls and howls like a shrieking banshee , but it is quite noisy, and an old Morley Vol Wah Boost w/110 volt plug that I bought in the eighties and only liked the Vol part so it has sat in the closet for 20 years .

Budda Bud-Wash...that's it, it has a vocal sound to it...more original than your standard wah. One of the best features is the true bypass in this thing, when you don't want it, just turn it off. It won't mess with with your sound even though it's still in your chain. Of all the other wahs that have been discussed here, I would go for the VOX if the Bud-Wah doesn't fit your desires.

What you wanna' do is get down to a shop where you can play as many as possible side by side. I have tryed many and my opinions seem to change. You will choose one that suits you and your playing style.

I have a crybaby. I'm thinking of converting it to a volume pedal, because its not very mouthy, kind of an either/or. I tried a vox once, it seems to be more gradual. Come to think of it, I don't even like wah pedals at all. Most guitarists I see who have one in-line, grossly over-use them. I've been thinking of a roto-vibe though, they seem more useful for the things I play, and they can do wicked things to feedback!

I have a Dunlop original Cry-baby model GCB-95 which I like a lot.But I have a problem with the scratchy sound every time I press it for a trebly sound.Is there somebody that knows how can I fix it?

I have a Dunlop original Cry-baby model GCB-95 which I like a lot.But I have a problem with the scratchy sound every time I press it for a trebly sound.Is there somebody that knows how can I fix it?

You might to need to exercise the pot. It comes right out with a litlcrescent wrench, litlwing. Just turn it quckly from one stop to the other for a litlwhile, litlwing. I think it operates on a principle of magic. Just be sure to roll the pot all the way forward before you reinstall it so it still works. itl be a litllogic test, litlwing.

First I had a Brownsville wah - it was so-so. Only cost $40, but I returned it.

I also had a Crybaby, but I returned it.

Then I bought a Vox($99) and a Morley (under $50 on sale) and compared them. Morley... back it went. Vox is very sweet, the only complaint is that it sucks tone when in chain and not engaged - you loose some lows. Vox is not the only wah to do that and I know there's fixes for it, but the bravest I ever got was replacing guitar pickups, etc. I'll do it myself if I find an easy schematic/project or I'll just pay somebody to do it. Other than that - the tone is what this baby's got! Try it along with others before you buy any other wah. That's if you want to sound musical :)

voxvoxvoxvoxvoxvoxvoxvoxvoxvoxvoxvoxvoxvoxvox

only bad things are no adapter and no true bypass (can be fixed), as far as tone it's the best....

We don't need no STINKING CRYBABIES!

ok here it is everyone. Go to www.fulltone.com and click on "tech, tips, & answers", then the first link called "Wah wah talk". It will give you "...diagrams and text for True-Bypass modification of most wahs from the 60’s through the 90’s that’ll cure this age-old problem". "All you need is basic soldering skills and a Double-Pole-Double-Throw switch...". I have not done this yet because I haven't used it live yet, but I will as soon as I find the need for it. we out.

Back