Best (Value) MIDI Software for PC

I'm having a really tough time getting to grips with MIDI, I'm good with audio equipment, good with PC's but MIDI defeats me at every turn.

Right now I own a crappy keyboard and a m-audio $50 MIDI interface. Generally this works but I don't have good MIDI recording software. This week I purchased an e-mu x-board and I could not get the software to work or the keyboard.

I think part of my problem lies in the MIDI recording software.

So what's the recommendation for MIDI software, something that I will not need a bank loan to pay for.

Traction came free with the keyboard I am returning. I couldn't make any sense of it.

I think my problem comes from having been a Sonic Foundry Acid user for years and that's the only software I really understand. Their new version has MIDI support so perhaps that should be my route.

Thanks for the answer.

Tony

HomeMadeHitShow said:
Traction came free with the keyboard I am returning. I couldn't make any sense of it.
Can't help you then, partner. It's way easier to master, in my humble opinion anyway, than even Acid 1.0 was.

Good luck!

I like FruityLoops, but Sonar Home Studio 4 and Pro Tools LE are good also. Isn't there still a free Pro Tools version? I learned MIDI way back with the Cakewalk software that came with a SoundBlaster card.

Marginal Midi support in Fruity Loops?

Marginal Midi support in Fruity Loops? They just recently added audio tracks. What did it play before? Made for John Cage's 4'33" only?

OK, I retract the fruity loops statment. I have not looked at it since v 1 and it looks like they expanded it a bit

By Value I mean that the price v quality and ease of use is a good mix. Free for a crappy program is not good value, $100 for an oustanding program is.

I am an Acid expert and just checked out the newer versions (still on 3.0 here) and it seems that will have what I need. n-track also seems to have the basic implementation I would need.

Thanks for the help.

Tony

Back