Best studio ax

circle x

I am on a quest to find the best all-around session ax priced from $750 - $999. I have a Fender Fat Strat (mexi) with an EMG 81, Seymour Duncan SHR-1, and Seymour Duncan JB Jr. It sounds nice, don't get me wrong. I need a very well-built ax that is versatile (can go from Evanescence to John Mayer), has great intonation and stays in tune. I have looked at about 11 million reviews and guitars. I know I will have to sit down and play them, but for now, I need somewhere to start. I will be recording via DI through an A-Designs REDDI. I will use GTR3 for guitar modeling. I have eyed the Fender Billy Corgan Stratocaster but am not sure if I want to pay for a signature. Thanks.

Last edited:
No guitar is going to be the "best" at everything. I understand you are looking for a workhorse that can do lots of tones but most people/studios own multiple guitars/amps for a reason. Are you keeping your current guitar? I would suggest putting the money towards something that does the tones that you feel your current guitar is lacking in. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for that price range. I am admittedly a sucker for Gibson guitars. Good luck in your search!

The best all round guitar has yet to be invented and won't ever be invented either. Everyone is physically different, plays differently and has different ideas of what makes a good guitar so what works for Steve Vai doesn't work for Yngwie Malmsteen etc.
What you want is something reliable that stays in tune. I swear by Ibanez - best models I own are the Jem and the Universe (if you want the extra low end from the 7th string). You can get both of those guitars with a push on E-Bay for around a grand for second hand or used floor model. Always a good idea to try them out first though!
Other similar 'metal' axes worth considering would be Jackson, ESP, Dean and Schecter. But then again, that's only if you like the feel of a slim neck with jumbo frets, 24 frets, long scale, HSH pups and floating trem system...
Best bet is to go to a load of guitar shops and play as many guitars as you can and start narrowing your search based on what feels right and sounds right to you.

Without being glib or condescending, judging by the fact that you're using software "amps," I'm assuming you're looking for convenience and versatility, even if it costs excellence*. As such, I would highly recommend the Line 6 guitars. The models are better than passable (I'm more impressed by the guitar modelers than the amp modelers), and the guitars themselves are pretty decent in the price range you cite.

*Seriously, I'm not stirring poop. It goes without saying that a '59 LP Standard Reissue through a vintage JTM will kill the competition in a "Les Paul through a Marshall" soundalike contest, just as it would fare poorly at mimicking a Ric through a Supro.

I do know that the "best" doesn't exist. Just like mics, preamps, and DAW's. My current set-up is nice and I am able to get some nice heavy tones from the EMG. After looking at everything in the price range, I think I may just save and look at the '08 Gib Standard Plus. Modeling is really a killer for me because I love the JCM's and Twinface type sounds. No Line 6 or even waves plugs can recreate the exact vibe and feel. Unfortunately, I have to make concessions given the apartment studio. I really think the REDDI coupled with the GTR3 will give me enough tone and realism to pull off some convincing tracks. I can't say enough about the REDDI BTW.

I never could wrap my head around the Line 6 Variax. How is the feel and build quality?

The entry level Variax feels a little slapped-together, but the other models feel pretty good. Also, Warmouth makes replacement parts, so if you scored one on eBay, you could get a new body and a neck to taste. I'd try to get my hands on one, just to see.

The best guitar is a Holy Grail that no one can find - I've always thought the "Super Strats" provide a wide range of tones that can cover almost any thing.

I've got a Yamaha RGXTT (no longer in production) that can provide justt about any tone I can hear.

Regaring Variax - I bought a 300 series and at first I was impressed. Lot's of "guitars", plenty of tones, some banjo and "dobro" type sounds, etc. I played fairly well even though it felt "cheap". I owned a POD and had very decent results with simulated guitar amps......so I thought I would buy a Variax to get at all the guitars that I don't have (LPs, Gretches, etc.)

Well, the tracking on one of the strings went bad (after only 6 months).......I haven't a clue how to fix it myself and to have a tech fix it would cost more than I paid for the axe ($300).

I'm no longer a "fan" of the Variax - I'd rather play a real guitar that has very little that can go wrong with it.

Back