Best soundcard/mic combo?

Wannaplay

Hello all. I would like to get opinions on the best soundcard and mic setup for under $300. I just upgraded my Pent.3 to 120GB. I'd like to record electric and acoustic guitar(with preamp), vocals, keyboard and mic'd mandolin and guitar. I have a Shure SM57 already. Just want to be able to put down some original music without alot of expense or hassel. A friend has recommended the Audigy Platinum ex (external) due to no more open 5" bays on my tower. Is this a good card for my purpose? Also, is the Marshall 603 a decent mic to add for the acoustics? Thanks to all in advance.

Do a search on this board for the Marshall 603 and you'll get plenty of hits - many people like the 603 and the Oktava 012 mics for the applications you're suggesting. Both are similarly priced.

Can't help with the sound card choice other than to suggest that you will probabaly outgrow a soundblaster card rather quickly. If possible, make the jump to a unit like the Audiophile 2496 or similar unit.

Audiophile 2496 $150.00

Marshall Electronics MXL603 $90

$60 left over for beer.

Ditto on the soundblaster. I was looking into the soundblaster audigy too, but there are dedicated soundcards for recording that blows SB out of the water. And you'll save money too with the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for $150. The Audigy will run you at least $200.

As far as Mics go, I hear the Studio Project B1 is a good all-purpose mic.

stay away from SB cards for recording purposes...unless you really don't care about the quality;)

note that along with a mic and soundcard, you're going to need a separate preamp - unless you get a card that includes one...

This is the first time I've heard of mic/soundcard combinations. It doesn't matter, right?

I've heard of some mic/preamp combinations being sweet or othewise, and I think there's something in that. But soundcards and mics? Nah...

Get the best mic you can afford. Get the best soundcard you can afford. Start recording.

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like the Audiophile 2496 with DMP3 is good. Is there any advantage to the separate pre amp and soundcard? Any other suggestions for the card with built in preamp in the $200-250 price range?

Wannaplay said:
Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like the Audiophile 2496 with DMP3 is good. Is there any advantage to the separate pre amp and soundcard? Any other suggestions for the card with built in preamp in the $200-250 price range?

I don't think that you're going to find too many interfaces with built in preamps in that price range...

the audiophile and dmp3 combo would be great...but it's gonna run you more like $350 - if you wanted to expand to more than 2 ins and were willing to spend 350-400 - you could go for something like the delta66/omnistudio combo...

Pratt, the Omni/Delta66 looks good and a little more versatile. I don't think the Delta 1010lt has separate pre amps. Does anyone know what the difference is between the DMP3 and the Audio Buddy? Also what kind of connection (cable) between these pre amps and the Delta 66 or Audiophile 2496 soundcards? Thanks.

Wannaplay said:
Pratt, the Omni/Delta66 looks good and a little more versatile. I don't think the Delta 1010lt has separate pre amps. Does anyone know what the difference is between the DMP3 and the Audio Buddy? Also what kind of connection (cable) between these pre amps and the Delta 66 or Audiophile 2496 soundcards? Thanks.

actually, the delta 1010lt does have 2 preamps. Here are the specs:
http://www.midiman.net/products/m-audio/1010lt.php'

regarding connections, both of the midiman preamps (audiobuddy and dmp3) have 1/4" balanced outs....the delta66 has 1/4" balanced ins.. I think that that audiophile has rca ins...so you would need to convert from 1/4" to RCA.

Thanks Pratt. If I go with the A.Buddy or DMP3 preamps into a 2496 soundcard how would I monitor the recordings? Headphones to the computers CD or speakers?

Wannaplay said:
Thanks Pratt. If I go with the A.Buddy or DMP3 preamps into a 2496 soundcard how would I monitor the recordings? Headphones to the computers CD or speakers?

you would monitor what you're recording by routing the channels that you want to monitor the the audiophile channel outs; making sure that audiophile outs are set to 'monitor mixer' (this is in the audiophile software). you then hook up the audiophile outs to whatever you would like to monitor with - speakers, etc... you would need to route to an amplifier if you don't have powered speakers or if you want to use headphones...

Back