Best shredder bridge pick up for basswood?

NRS

Guitar: OLP JPMM knock off w/ Basswood body, maple neck & rosewood fretboard. (Note: I dont care if I sound like Petrucci)

Although I've tried plenty of bridge PUPs that sound great in mohogany, I'm having a much harder time finding my ideal shred tone in a basswood body. Mostly the bottom end is what I find lacking in comparison. On the contrary I really prefer my Duncan 59 neck in a basswood body over mohogany as it tigtens up the normally rounded low end and gives it a much better snap thats almost strat like. Its all about finding the proper counter balance between the two opposing exaggerated friquencies of your wood and pick up in the end and basswood is kind of middle of the road nuetral in tone.

Heres my Criteria:
Seeking a moderate to high output shredder with great harmonics
Need extended bottom end for a mohogany like fattness but still good overall balance.
Want tight focused lows with excellent mid/high defintion and clarity for distorted chords, sweep picking, and palm muting
Must still sound natural.
Overall versitility and nice split coil cleans would be an added plus. (Basically I want it all!)

Some common shredder pick ups I've tried and thier pros and cons:

1)EMG active: Great definition output and punch, but way too sterile

2)Dimarzio EVO: Excellent OD, clarity and hamonics designed for basswood but a bit too artificial and spikey

3)Duncan JB: Way too fuzzy and vintage for what Im seeking in a shredder (as will probably be the case with most alnicos)

4)Gibson 498T: Great balanced bridge PUPs in mohogany but just not enough bottom end in basswood. Split coil isnt that great either.

5)Duncan Distortion: Seems to have almost everything I want but I only ever tried it in mohogany and fear it may have similiar shortcomings as the 498t since its rather midrange emphasized. Jury is still out though.

So there you have it! Advise away.............................

Back