Best program by far!!!

badnews

So I've been doing my mixing and mastering for some years with logic pro but was wondering is there any better programs to do it on.

I saw some fruity loops studio clips and the features look really nice

I also am thinking of getting protools but what do you think the best program is to do vocal editing like eq, and compression

Thanks guys!

There's no single "best" programme. Frankly, it's probably down to "which one have you spent years learning to use really well".

For editing, I use Adobe Audition which is excellent for that function...but it's primarily an editor with some excellent plugins. If you need MIDI and "music creation" features it's probably not for you.

Before assuming Protools is best, try to have a go. I personally don't get on with the user interface at all--I used to have to use it at work and, even after many years, never got to more than tolerate it. I'm not convinced it would be an upgrade from Logic or Audition unless you really need compatibility with other Protools places.

These are always work flow related questions. A person should choose a program based on their needs, the features that the program offers to meet those needs, and a general vibe that meets the way they work.

I think some people (and I'm not saying this is true of the OP) assume that there is a "best" option because there's something the pros know that they don't in terms of the gear they use to "make things sound pro".

I dunno, I may be off base with that but this obsession with finding the holy grail befuddles me.

Cheers :)

To directly answer your question, No, there probably isn't a better program for editing etc than Logic, taking into account that you already know how to use it.

Logic and Protools are generally considered to be the leaders in the field (as true as that may or may not be)

They both do it all, and if you're already familiar, I'd stay where you are.

FWIW, I'm a Protools user and I wish I'd started out on logic.

There is no best. The best one is the one that works for you. So if your comfortable with Logic stick with it.

I must say though Studio one v2 looks AWSOME. haha

I'm not switching though, to comfortable with what I use.

Yeah, they're all pretty good! I've never found a widely-used DAW that is terrible or clearly blows everything else out of the water.

Since I do a lot of studio work I tend to work on Pro Tools, but I've mixed plenty of cool records that were recorded in Garage Band.

Really, anything will do you pretty good. Just pick something that feels intuitive and you enjoy using and you'll be in great shape!

It also just comes down to features. Take GB in the post above this one, it's a good program and can get the job done but you can't for instance export midi or audio files in wav or aiff format (kind of a downer honestly).

I use Cubase and have used Pro Tools a lot.
I find Cubase to be a lot easier to use, and faster for editing. But that is just me I suppose.

G

Naw man, your just not used to pro tools. You can hammer right along in pro tools just as fast as you can with cubase.

I can't say the same for midi editing though, can't seem to find anything better than cubase for it.

Naw man, your just not used to pro tools. You can hammer right along in pro tools just as fast as you can with cubase.

I can't say the same for midi editing though, can't seem to find anything better than cubase for it.

Yeah you could be right. I used Pro Tools for 2 years, but I have used Cubase for 8 years! lol

Yeah I'm a heavier user on cubase, but I have witnessed power users fly on the program like it was nothing.
Yeah its all about the shortcuts.
Do you have any nice shortcuts you would like to share? I like the "p" shortcut. It sets the locators to the start and end of the selected tracks.

G

Back