Best preamp under $1000

jackjameson_

Hey guys.. im saving up for a new preamp! Im singing ballad songs.. ive the presonus studiochannel atm. My current mic is the Rode NTK.

Heres the list

- Focusrite isa one
- Focus rite isa two
- Universal audio 610
- Universal audio 710 twin
- Avalon v5
- ART PRO MPA II
- RME Quadmic II 4-channel
- SPL Gain Station 1 mono
- SPL Gold Mike MK2

any suggestions?

Personally, I'd get either of the UA ones (We have the 4-710 at the studio I work at and it's AWESOME), or the Avalon.

The Avalon I feel would be nice just because for starters, Avalon is a great name when you're talking preamps (I personally haven't had any experience yet, but maybe sometime), but the tone section of the Avalon seems kind of nice if your mic is too dark/bright.

Of course, the UA pres have an input AND an output pot, so you're able to drive the pre a little harder to give your signal a bit more character, but then you can back it off at the output stage so you aren't clipping your converters.

Tough decision, but those are the 3 I'd personally go with, so in my opinion, one of those would be best. =]

I think it will be the Avalon or UA 710.

But u know what.. im gonna test these and the Golden Age Project Pre-73 Preamp MKII live. I will make a appointment next month. Im gonna test these with the Rode NTK.

I will review here!

I have an NTK and an LA610 MKII and they go together really well.
My friend has an NT2A and the ISA 2 and they are also a nice combo
I prefer my LA610 because it has more dials and switches, although once I found the sound I liked it pretty well stayed there.

I like rupert neve designs preamps, currently using the 511 pre for the 500 series, and it's really incredible, far better than anything else I've heard so far, and very versatile, works on anything.

Hi lads,
This is my first post here. Really looking forward to many interesting conversations.

I've got the impression that most people think there'd be a rating of preamps. In fact there isn't. It first of all depends on the sound your after. if you are the guy who loves the colour red the guy from next door who loves green will tell you "naaw, you are better off not takin red". in my opinion there is only one honest answer: what works for me doesn't have to work for you. think about the sound your after and then go and try all the preamps in a store. the one which comes closest is the one for you.

Well.. welcome!

I love the avalon sound.. i just use piano and vocal.. so i want my vocal to be thick.. not muddy! Tight. The avalon 737 will do this.. also because the compression on that thing is awesome imo. I hope the twin finity or the avalon v5 can help me too that sound..

The twin finity from UA has a tube and a transistor switch.. thats very handy.. + i can buy a compressor 2! because the twin fin is like 750 euro in holland.. so i will have like 250/350 for a compressor.. any suggestions?

Back