$500 below Mic Preamp vs $1000 below Mic Preamp

Dav3Danc15

I've been thinking a lot about getting a mic preamp. I was thinking of getting ART MPA II ( which is below $500) or Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity (below $900). Which one do you think is better? Is UA worth it?

Can someone also give the differences of both? Their quality and ol dat!

Note: Please don't give answers like "you need to do more research" and stuff like that. Thank you! bow!

Well, that really depends upon the quality of your other gear.

Each step of the chain, reacts to the others. If I were to give hypothetical opinionated fraction of improvement regarding price/rewards of each step of the chain, I would give maybe 2% for each $1000.00 in improvement over a $100 link of the chain. Mic, preamp, converters, effects.

I would give a 40% improvement at the same price for quality of gear being recorded, room treatment, and monitors.

This is just my opinion based upon my experience. Not fact by any means.

It is really tough to ask that type of question, as it is only your judgement that matters to you. Some guy might think the MPA is amazing. Does not mean it will be for yourself. The toughest part about upgrading and buying gear at the home level of budget, is that we do not know until we try. And how well it helps the chain is dependent on every other piece of gear in it.

The old saying 'opinions are like a**holes-everyone has one' applies.

The 710 has some very cool functionality and will (IMO) easily put the MPA to the back of the rack.

That said - There are plenty of preamps out there that will do the same that aren't all that pricey...

FMR's RNP, True's P-Solo, Grace Design's m101 -- All wonderful preamps regardless of price. GAP's Pre73 if you're looking for something with more flavor (especially with the Lundies).

So out of all the gear you mentioned, whuch one is the best and youd go for? I know this is not a good question because there is no real answer to that but i want to get your opinion on this

+1 on the RNP. I have not used an MPA, but I do have a Meek TwinQ and an Audient ASP008. The RNP is right on their level for quality IMO (has fewer functionalities).

I also have a digi002 and the pres (IMHO) are not as crisp as the RNP. I only use the 002 pres when I'm recording 14 or more tracks simultaneously.

Of the two pres you mention I would pick the UA 710 over the ART Pro MPAII.

There are other pres I would pick over the ART PRO MPAII for around $500 or under :-

Focusrite ISA One
WARM WA12 or the new WARM TB12
True Systems P-Solo
Grace M101

All of these are capable of superb results.

I own an Audient Mico and think it offers superb value for money! The Mico offers two channels, has high quality A/D converters and can do very clean uncoloured or you can add some thickness associated with transformer colouration with the HMX function. I managed to pick one of these up for a bargain £199 secondhand in the UK!!!

Having tried a mixture of preamps and channel strips over the years from budget £70 pres to higher end £2000 pres I personally find the differences are fairly subtle compared to a different mic or better acoustics!!

Back