best preamp for 500$??

Mikeeley

i was looking around for a preamp and im mainly gonna be using it for vocals. i want something that will make the vocals sound full, clear ect... my price limit is 500$ whats my best bet?

thanks
mike

Mikeeley said:
i was looking around for a preamp and im mainly gonna be using it for vocals. i want something that will make the vocals sound full, clear ect... my price limit is 500$ whats my best bet?

thanks
mike

i think we need to ban the word "best" from these forums. i've been guilty of it myself, but it's way too subjective a phrase, and always seems to start the same tired arguments.
that said, brands to consider at that price point are:
RNP
Grace
Sytek

Mikeeley said:
thanks... thats all??

... maybe presonus, and art stuff at that price, but i think the other three i mentioned might be a better bet.
there is a lot of stuff out in the under $200 range that includes art and presonus as well, along with maudio, studio projects, and rane.
$500 price point definitely bumps you up to some good quality stuff, and then at over $1000 you get to another level of "quality".... and on and on.
if you just want my opinion... i would try out an rnp (by fmr audio) or find a grace 101 (might be just a hair more than $500). very clean and quiet. i know the grace brothers personally, and they make excellent products and stand behind their stuff. the rnp sounds really good... nice detail, especially on the top end without sounding harsh.
good luck - jv

Mikeeley said:

ok, that's a channel strip with eq and compression as well as a pre. if that's what you're looking for, that's a different story. you originally asked for advice on a preamp. i think maybe you should do some digging around with the search function on this sight and if you want an all inclusive recording channel (comp, eq) or just a good preamp (and maybe a separate comp, which could total more than $500, or limit $ spent on each). if you decide you want a channel strip, i've heard great things about the safe audio p1, which also has a nice limiter. i gotta run... good luck - jv

what I've gathered from the 87 forums I visit everyday, the best pre's in that price range are:

RNP
Grace 101
GT Brick
seventh circle (you can build the pre's yourself and save alot)

i use a FMR RNP and they work wonders for me. i only do home recordings but the quality i get is great for what i need..

Back