Best plug-ins for the buck

Joel

Just received the Gadget Labs 824, and it installed without a flaw. Now just waiting for Vegas Pro to arrive. BTW, Gadget Labs is running a great deal on an 824 with Vegas tossed in--$878 US after a $50 rebate.

So the next arrow to be placed in my quiver is a decent effects/plug-in setup. Sonic Foundry just came out with three seemingly great packages in the XFX 1, 2, 3 ($149 each, 6 effects per package; XFX 2 is for mastering). But are there better deals out there? And better quality?

Here's an excerpt from an e-mail I got from Sonic Foundry on 10/18/99:

"So how could we make it better? By offering our XFX Plug-in suites for $29.95 EACH! Between now and October 31, 1999, XFX 1, 2, and 3 are on sale for $29.95 each, only for registered users of Vegas Pro!"

And of course I'm really jealous of your 8/24 Vegas Pro package deal. I paid more than that for just Vegas Pro and a Gina! Not that I've had any real use for 8 inputs, but I'd love to have the capability anyway!

I personally wouldn't want to do without the Waves Native Power Pack 1. It has an amazing 10-band EQ, compressor, stereoizer, mastering limiter, and Trueverb, a great reverb. The package is kinda pricey, but it sounds damn good and is easy to use. I also love the DSP/FX Virtual Pack, which has a flanger, chorus, pitch shifter, multi-tap delay, tremelo, auto panner, EQ, limiter, two reverbs, and an Aural Activator, which adds or boosts certain frequencies, and which I also wouldn't want to do without. All the effects sound awesome, and the whole thing is under $300 ($259 from their website), which makes it a really good deal.

I'd definitely recommend downloading the demos for any effects you plan to buy. I've seen some plug-ins that I thought would be really cool, and then realized after I'd downloaded the demo that I would have been severely pissed if I had spent money on the dumb things.

Ryan

Back