Best overhead drum mics?

jhankedrums

As the title implies. What are some great ovehead mics I could use for micing my kit? I plan on using a Beta52 for the kick, and undecided on the snare.

Thanks a ton in advance!

i have had good results using behringer ecm 8000's in the past. they are low cost and fairly effective. as of now i use a pair of akg c 1000's and i am very happy with the way they sound.

Of what I own, KM-184's, Eartworks SR-71's, AT-4033's, Octava MK-012's. Each one has its place. It depends on the drums and what tune they're going into. I've used C-1000s as overheads and didn't like them there. They sound good on a snare or rack toms though.

What's your budget?
What are the dimensions and acoustics of the room?
What type of kit (including sizes, type of heads, typical tuning, how many cymbals, etc.)
What type of music are you recording?
What kind of sound are you after?

You really need to address these questions before you start searching for the "right" overheads for your particualr situation.

Here are some mics to look into just to get you started:
Josephson C42
Peluso CMC6
Avenson STO-2

I always feel like a skipping CD for saying it:

my current favorite for overheads are AKG C414s. As far as I'm concerned, AKG makes a few worthy contenders in the fair priced range.

What's your budget? - $100-$350 Per Mic.
What are the dimensions and acoustics of the room? - 16x10
What type of kit (including sizes, type of heads, typical tuning, how many cymbals, etc.) - 10", 12", 14" Toms, 14" Snare, 22x20" Kick, 16"/18" Crashes, 10/11" Splashes, 20/14" Chinas, 14" Hats, 20" Ride. Evans G2 on all Toms/Snare. Evans EMAD on Bass.
What type of music are you recording? - Hard Rock/Metal
What kind of sound are you after? - Punchy Bass, very "cracky" snare, full tom resonance.

You really need to address these questions before you start searching for the "right" overheads for your particualr situation.

Here are some mics to look into just to get you started:
Josephson C42
Peluso CMC6
Avenson STO-2

I've had success with these (in order of preference)
Rode NT5s- Good overall
Rode NTK- Punchy depending on where you put it.
Shure SM81s- Shimmery/swishy, but sometimes shrill.
Behringer ECM8000s- Grainy, but not objectionably grainy. Placement can be difficult.

If I had your budget...

I'd get either a pair of NTK's to use as overheads and a Beyer M201 for your snare (but I'd have a SM57 or a SDC on the bottom). OR I'd get an NTK and a 4050 and use them in MS with the M201 and 57. But that's just based on my experience with these mics. I know lots of guys like the Pelusos and I know I love my MK012's...but if I had more than just my NTK I'd likely use them instead...

jacob

Lexus507 said:
how are studio projects c4s as overheads??

excellent....

I've actually just started recording band practices (in order to aid in finding a singer) using a pair of c4's in x/y config set up about 8 -10 feet in front of the drum kit, bass cab on one side, guitar on the other, kick mic'd with a d112 through the pa.....They do a really god job capturing everything...

I'll see if i can post an example....

--ryan

Last edited:
examples of the c4's can be found here if still interested:

myspace link

i think if you download the file you'll get the 192kbps mp3 i originally uploaded.

DISCLAIMER:
this was recorded in a $12/hr rehersal space w/ virtually no sound absorbtion, using the facilities backline, cracked cymbals, epiphone guiitar, peavy t40 bass, recorded through dbx 386 into a $150 Boss digital recorder, than transferred out from the boss back to 386 and digital out the pc

~rb

LeeRosario said:
I always feel like a skipping CD for saying it:

my current favorite for overheads are AKG C414s. As far as I'm concerned, AKG makes a few worthy contenders in the fair priced range.

I simply love that mic...I just wish I had two...for me, I've had nice results with MXL603s. Some say that they're too bright but the combination of gear and facility works for me.

Back