Best or good enough Windows environment for Sonar 7

BobbyP

I'm use to, not good at but use to using Sonar 7 and I do't relish the idea of re-learning DAW software. I am doing everything I can to avoid learning something other than Sonar 7, unless I really have to. Will Sonar 7 run on my iMac? I use it now on my old windows & machine. Will Sonar 7 work on a new Windows computer if I were to buy one. Thank You Folks

Thank You Robert,
Windows 7
Sonar 7
M-Audio/Delta 44 interface
Art Channel Strip
AKG C3000B Mic for voice over

It definitely won't run on an iMac unless it is an Intel iMac and you use Bootcamp to boot into Windows. It will probably run on a new Windows computer as Windows 10 is pretty good at running older software from that era.

It may also be worth looking at the current Cakewalk by Bandlab which is free and is based on Sonar.

You will probably find that you need to replace your interface with a new computer because they don't usually come with PCI connections. Most people go for an external USB interface these days. The Behringer UMC202HD or M-Audio M-Track Duo are probably the cheapest interfaces that are worth looking at. Focusrite, Audient and MOTU also make decent interfaces (as well as quite a few others).

Thank you James for putting things in to perspective. I have Sonar 7 installed on an older machine (PC) and for the most part it works great. Lately though when I go to use it I have no sound, not even with windows media player. The sound/output will come and go but its always a battle I have a Steinberg interface for my mac that came with a light version of Cubase but It's just another obstacle to deal with, lol. I should just wake up and start making friends with a different set-up. I am not an audio file per say, just a voiceover guy that is tired of being bogged down by technology, gear and learning curves. I am going to consider things here and figure out what the path of least resistance will be. Thank You kindly James.

Hi Bobby and welcome. My son runs the free Cakewalk on a W10 laptop and, AFAIK he has no problems with it (he is in France)
He has used Samplitude for many years and is presently on Pro X3 but finds Cakewalk more useful for MIDI and loop building work.
He runs a MOTU M4 interface which perhaps more than you want to pay although the M2 is just as good quality, just less I/O.

However, if you just need a DAW for voice over work Audacity is perfectly fine. Not so good for complex song building and does not, AFAIK support MIDI but for straight forward sound recording, good as anything else.

Dave.

It may also be worth looking at the current Cakewalk by Bandlab which is free and is based on Sonar.

... Most people go for an external USB interface these days. The Behringer UMC202HD or M-Audio M-Track Duo are probably the cheapest interfaces that are worth looking at. Focusrite, Audient and MOTU also make decent interfaces (as well as quite a few others).
Solid advice here. The free Bandlab Cakewalk is very good, just limited on plugins included (thankfully I'm able to use everything I've purchased previous plus the items from my paid version of Sonar X3). Took me a while to install and test (like 3 years?) but finally have migrated to using it full time.

Also second getting a new interface, not just for more robust/current driver support but for generally lower latency when doing live recordings. Many good options that won't break the bank, assuming you can find something in stock.

Free DAW and a low end usb interface will go a long ways.

Thanks for all your friendly help folks: I really feel the un-judged empathy which I really do value. You all have good advice. I love my M-Audio Delta 44 but I can see that it is time to join the new century look at some gear replacement. I do have a new Steinberg interface that I bought to use with my mac and it came with a Cubase package. I have some thinking to do. Thank You once again to you all for your time and genuine concern. Cheers, Bobby P

Cubase has a two tier approach - it's easy to get recording, but then has loads of stacked menus. I'm a fan, but around 50% or more of the menus I do not ever use. Oddly, my Cubase friend says the same thing - but his 50% is really different to me!

This my next attempt at figuring this out. The whole idea is to continue to use Sonar 7 as I would like to avoid re-learning recording software. If I do need to learn a new system then so be it but until then. Here is the set-up I am thinking to go with. Please let me know if you see trouble or stupidity with my approach. AKG mic/XLR into Art Pro Channel Strip into Steinberg UR242 (phantom power source), into my old Windows 7 machine ( which ran Sonar 7 just fine for years). Now absent will be my beloved friend, the invincible M-Audio Delta 44. Does this chain have any obvious flaws? I realize the Channel Strip may not be necessary but I am just used to going in set with the mic and less tweeking in post. Thanks ahead friends.

It seems sensible except that you won't be able to use the UR242 as the phantom power source. The ART Pro Channel Strip would have to provide the phantom power if your mic needs it.

Back