Best MMC application...

schwa

Hi Folks,

I have been doing the DAW thing for a couple of years now and it works ok, in many ways better than tape for editing, etc (duh). But one thing I can't stand doing on a screen with a mouse is tracking and mixing. I want to use traditional tape transport controls when tracking, and desparately want to use a physical control surface whan mixing. I have also had some real headaches with dropouts when the track counts start to add up.

So I have gotten it in my head that a digital mixer is the answer to my problems. With basic effects in hardware (on the mixer), and automation, in theory all I need to add to the computer is enough digital i/o. I figure I could add a lexi hardware reverb and patch into the mixer via spdif.

That would let me edit on the pc, and do my "recording" on the desk, suing the PC as a tape deck. Many digital desks seem to have transport controls on them, what type of device are they targeted towards?

Is anyone doing this today? I have been watching with interest the coming tascam DM-24, and imagine that Yamaha is about to refresh their product line.

I'd be interesting in hearing bout any real life successes or failures along these lines.

Back