Best mixer for home recording?

djc

Why so serious?
Any suggestions for a small mixer? I record by myself playing guitar, bass, sampled drums, and vocals. I'm in the market for a small mixer. I really don't need much more than 8 inputs I guess, but I would like to have fairly good preamps, and maybe some built-in effects. I would also like to keep the price around $400, or less, if possible. What do ya think?

djc said:
Any suggestions for a small mixer? I record by myself playing guitar, bass, sampled drums, and vocals. I'm in the market for a small mixer. I really don't need much more than 8 inputs I guess, but I would like to have fairly good preamps, and maybe some built-in effects. I would also like to keep the price around $400, or less, if possible. What do ya think?

Hmmm, you posted on Computer Recording and Soundcards.
Are you asking about what mixer to use as a standalone
unit?
or which to use as a front end to your sound card?
or which to use to replace the front end on your sound card?

The answer will depend on what you answer to the above,
what you want to do, etc.

The Mackies have "fairly good preamps" but nothing
world shaking. For recording to your computer,
you want one of their models with Direct Out
for each channel.

Re: Re: Best mixer for home recording?

fishtop_records said:
Hmmm, you posted on Computer Recording and Soundcards.
Are you asking about what mixer to use as a standalone
unit?
or which to use as a front end to your sound card?
or which to use to replace the front end on your sound card?

The answer will depend on what you answer to the above,
what you want to do, etc.

The Mackies have "fairly good preamps" but nothing
world shaking. For recording to your computer,
you want one of their models with Direct Out
for each channel.

What "budget" Mackies have direct outs on every channel?

1202VLZ has inserts on the channels with mic pre's that are very usable for direct outs. Also the ALT 3-4 buss outs. They can be had around $400.

I want to use it as a front end, and a rear end to the sound card. A control center so to speak. I kind of like the built-in effects of the DFX12. I don't know how good they are, and I could live without them, but thay are handy to have. Ideally, I would want to set up one channel for a mic, one for guitar, and one for bass. And also monitor the sound card thru the mixer. I do want as good a built-in mic preamp as I can get. I will take a look at the 1202VLZ (Thanks Track Rat).

I'm thinking abput the Soundcraft Spirit M series. Supposedly has nice mic pres, and good EQ. Has inserts and direct out on each channel too. That way you could run outboard compression ect and still go direct to the sound card. Thought an M8 would match up with a M-audio 1010lt nicely, but I'm probably gonna get the M12 just to have a little more expadability. Looks like
Northern Light and Sound has the best prices on em. You can get the Spirit M8 for around $550. I was gonna get a Mackie until I understood the deal about the direct outs. With the M8 it looks like you'll spend less time pushing buttons and patching stuff and more time recording. Exactly what I want. Set up all my mic/instruments and not have to mess with any settings once I get em how I want em...

Back