Best Mike for the Least Amount of Money????

minusme

Hello everyone. I'm new to the thread, but not to the subject! I've been recording for many years, and I've always had a tight budget. I have had incredible experience using the industry standard SM58 and SM57 . At $100 a pop, they're a great price. I would like to step up for my next mike though.. I will be recording ONLY vocals through it. I was thinking condensor mike, but I don't know that much about them....

Does anyone have recommendations on something that sounds better for not much more?

------------------------------------------------
Hear my music at: The Unsigned Band Web

minusme said:
Hello everyone. I'm new to the thread, but not to the subject! I've been recording for many years, and I've always had a tight budget. I have had incredible experience using the industry standard SM58 and SM57 . At $100 a pop, they're a great price. I would like to step up for my next mike though.. I will be recording ONLY vocals through it. I was thinking condensor mike, but I don't know that much about them....

Does anyone have recommendations on something that sounds better for not much more?

------------------------------------------------
Hear my music at: The Unsigned Band Web
Checkout the Shure SM-7.

You are going to have to audition some of these to find what's best for you.
Audio Technica 3035 and up
Studio Projects B1 and up
CAD anything
some folks like Marshall, YMMV

That's right.

minusme said they liked the Shure SM57/58 but wanted a better vox mic and never said it "must be" a condensor mic... only that they were thinking condensor.

So, checkout the Shure SM-7.

As much as I love the SM7 (see the other thread), I don't think that's a logical next mic. It's basically a better 57/58, but you can't use it for anything acoustic like guitar or overheads. And even if minusme is really only recording vocals, it's still nice to have a mic that sounds different.

So I agree with BK, although also try the KSM27 or 32 against the ATs. If you are only ever recording vocals, then sell the 57s & 58s & buy an SM7 too.

Thank you all very much!!

Thanks so much for the great response.

I will definately look into the mike's you've recommended!!!

Does anyone have a song with vocals recorded with any of
mike's you've suggested?

Thanks!
Ron

Sure... listen to Michael Jackson's Thriller album... it was recorded with the SM-7.

mshilarious said:
And even if minusme is really only recording vocals, it's still nice to have a mic that sounds different.

If you are only ever recording vocals, then sell the 57s & 58s & buy an SM7 too.
--------------------------------------------------------
Well... I noted the way minusme capitalized the word ONLY and understood that to mean ONLY... but I've been wrong before so maybe your right.
--------------------------------------------------------
minusme said:
I will be recording ONLY vocals through it.

Back