Best Microphones For Recording Gutars

frankthetank727

I have used Sm57s and Audix i5 on guitar cabinets before and although they do the job, I am wondering if anyone has any "go to" mics, dynamic or not, that they use for guitar cabinets for loud rock/metal and the like. Thanks

I have used Sm57s and Audix i5 on guitar cabinets before and although they do the job, I am wondering if anyone has any "go to" mics, dynamic or not, that they use for guitar cabinets for loud rock/metal and the like. Thanks

is there a price range you are wanting to stay in? Sm57's are good mics, but what's your range. Some mics may cost a few grand, others like the SM57 are cheaper. so ya, price range is a good thing to know.

I use a 57, or a Sennheiser e609. Also some others depending on sound I am looking for.

The Sennheiser e609. Or believe it or not for a great guitar cab microphone any of the cheapo -$100. ribbon microphones out there from MXL or Nady or ......

Honestly, I don't really care about a budget right now. I am just researching at this point so I am open to any kind of suggestions. If people feel like making categories of good cheap mics and good expensive mics , I am cool with that. Really though, just whatever.

The Sennheiser e609. Or believe it or not for a great guitar cab microphone any of the cheapo -$100. ribbon microphones out there from MXL or Nady or ......

I have never tried any of those MXL or Nady mics. How do they compare to say the e609 or SM57?

I have never tried any of those MXL or Nady mics. How do they compare to say the e609 or SM57?

Well the MXL R144 at 89. Or the Nady RSM 4 at $70. is well worth the investment for micing a guitar amp.
Unbelievable realism!

I know we all make typos...and OK, there are some odd words that get mangled by a lot of us....
...but I think that if you are a musician, you should never screw up words like "rhythm" (rythm, rhythem, rytem..etc)...and as a guitar player, you shouldn't even typo "guitar". :D

I'm waiting for the day when some drummer misspells "drum". ;)

I know we all make typos...and OK, there are some odd words that get mangled by a lot of us....
...but I think that if you are a musician, you should never screw up words like "rhythm" (rythm, rhythem, rytem..etc)...and as a guitar player, you shouldn't even typo "guitar". :D

I know, twice I've typed "sweat spot" instead of "sweet spot" Sure makes for some interesting reading.

Drum and Drummer :D could be a movie there.

The ability to be understood is more important in communicating than correct spellung. I like playing my rythm gtar parts just fine and you all know what I meant. No need to be obsessive about speeling or typoez, we're not writing English 101 papers.

@the OP: I don't see anything wrong with SM57 I love mine and use it as my go-to for just about everything. Of course that's because it's my only dynamic mic that isn't a cheapo with an on-off switch and/or a built in 1/4" cable coming out the back. Even so, I have borrowed other mics and still use my 57 because it can take a lot of loudness and gives a pretty straightforeward signal. Positioning is so much more important than little nuances of which mic in my opinion.

I guess there's no point in discussing "sense of humor" here either... ;)

I know that "gutar" was just a typo...it was just funny looking :D but I do think half the people that misspell words like "rhythm", do so because they don't know how to spell....it's not just some "forum shorthand" like YMMV or OMG! :)

Anyway...try a Cascade Fat Head on guitar cabs...you'll probably throw away the 57/609 mics.
(Just kidding about throwing them away...)

Back