Best mic pre under $50

j-boy

... I'll be using it with my collection of Studio Projects B1's and also my home-made Radio Shack phantom-powered mic with the cardboard capsule.

The ART Tube MP is the only pre I have that cost less than 50, and that's cause I got it dirt cheap of a guy used locally, and he only threw it in cheap cause I bought his snare...

jacob

j-boy said:
... I'll be using it with my collection of Studio Projects B1's and also my home-made Radio Shack phantom-powered mic with the cardboard capsule.

If you have any knowledge of electronics, you could make a pretty decent mic pre for less than $50. There are alot of mic pre circuits around the net.

I personally would save up more.
The only stuff here under 50bucks is a bloody guitar pick and cheap cable :rolleyes:

Naw, this guy doesn't need your fancy little boxes; he should build his own pre. I'm thinking you could build a Green Pre for about that much, but you would have to put it in some ghetto case or something. Maybe a shoebox.

I've seen an all Behr*nger studio....maybe you could have the first all cardboard studio!? :D

j-boy said:

You could perhaps build your own preamp for under $50, since you already built a mic. There are kits out there, but I don't know how they sound. These don't have phantom, but you could probably wire something up.

Otherwise, you're stuck with a small mixer or single channel behringer preamp, which will probably suck. If you can save up for the vtb-1, I think it's worth it.

Reggie said:
Naw, this guy doesn't need your fancy little boxes; he should build his own pre. I'm thinking you could build a Green Pre for about that much, but you would have to put it in some ghetto case or something. Maybe a shoebox.

I've seen an all Behr*nger studio....maybe you could have the first all cardboard studio!? :D

Sounds like an idea. I'm playing an Esteban guitar made out of balsa so perhaps I can assemble the world's first under-$100 studio!

simpleybass said:
Here's a 4 channel preamp for $79.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--STOPR4

I guess that means that each pre-amp is less than $20.

I use this with SP B1 and B3 and some SDCs.

It's a real quiet solid state preamp.

No coloration like a tube amp.

If your goal is:

Phantom power
Boost signal to line level
xlr input, 1/4" output

And you want it quiet, then this unit works real nice. Keep the gains above 7 for best results.

They also sell an 8 channel for $99.

:)
Actually, my budget is tighter this month than I thought... can I just buy one of those less-than-$20 preamps this month, then I'll get another one next month? I only ever record two things at a time anyway.

fraserhutch said:
Jesus Christ people, can't you recognize a troll???????? :eek:

:D

ROFLMAO - his second post in this thread gave him away, although I was suspicious at first. Goes to show you how helpful people are on this board. All posters who gave recommendations here should be commended. :D

the presonus blue tube I own is socool. I use it as a mic pre, and in between mixer and interface. - $200
did you say under 50?

ido1957 said:
Goes to show you how helpful people are on this board. All posters who gave recommendations here should be commended. :D

Agreed. It's great to see folks here try to help a kid. But if this guy's indeed a fraud (it's always hard to tell for sure--many folks actually play Esteban guitars)... may his recordings never sound better than an Esteban guitar with rusty strings through a $20 pre. Karma, baby.

J.

Whether he's a troll or not, two channels of preamp for 50 bucks basically means a used Audio Buddy on eBay. They seem to sell in a range from about $50-90.

But if you do a search for "preamp" in the completed items section of "musical Instruments" on eBay you can see people are buying preamps for $20 or even less.

I'm not a fraud or a troll, just larkin' about on a Friday havin' a laugh. Thought that'd be obvious, actually. I was inspired by the hilarious thread about "what is the best Studio Projects B1", and also the guy that built a microhone with cardboard, not to mention the ever-popular "best _____ for $_____" threads that poulate the place. C'mon guys, it's Friday already.... smile!

jeffree said:
Agreed. It's great to see folks here try to help a kid. But if this guy's indeed a fraud (it's always hard to tell for sure--many folks actually play Esteban guitars)... may his recordings never sound better than an Esteban guitar with rusty strings through a $20 pre. Karma, baby.

J.
Believe me, nobody... and I mean nobody... could play an Esteban guitar. It's been attempted, but never with success. For further kicks, check out the reviews over at the Harmony-Central site.

j-boy said:
I'm not a fraud or a troll, just larkin' about on a Friday havin' a laugh. Thought that'd be obvious, actually. I was inspired by the hilarious thread about "what is the best Studio Projects B1", and also the guy that built a microhone with cardboard, not to mention the ever-popular "best _____ for $_____" threads that poulate the place. C'mon guys, it's Friday already.... smile!
That's EXACTLY what a troll does, dude.

Back