Best mic for...

JayNine07

Hello all,
I'm currently looking to purchase a good vocal condenser to record my current singer. I’ve been getting mixed reviews/advice from my friends who own/work at recording studios and wonder what you though. I feel his voice is in a similar range to that Bruce Springsteen treble end of the low spectrum. You can watch a couple of low quality videos at myspace.com/breckinwayne.
Anyway I have your basic pro tools/mbox set up, and am obviously not looking to add a 1000 dollar microphone to the setup. I’ve been told a Shure SM57 would do fine. My other friend said I could get the Behringer C1 and do well, and last but not least I was told to get a Rode NT1-A, or is there a better idea out there that I should consider?
Thanks in advance,
Jay

Well out of the three the SM57 is best for that situation...the LDC mics that would maybe suit a springsteen voice are alot more expensive...maybe an AT4047 or a Studio Projects C1 will match up with him.

'Sage' is a good thing :) . Anyway, you said you wanted a condensor? The SM57 is a dynamic mic. But the great thing about it is, if you don't like the way it sounds on vocals, it'll almost surely sound good on anything else you'll ever want to record.

saga is a good thing? I thought it meant just the opposite. I just looked it up to be sure and it said something to the effect that -posting to get reps or more postings. somebody please clear this up for me.
So if its a good thing ..I apologize a thousand times over to Big Kenny.

Saga? I don't know anything about forum lingo. What i do know is that sage means 'wise'. But if he was being sarcastic then that's a different story :)

ok sorry its late for me 3 days with very little sleep, maybe I have visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.
I saw saga instead of the original word sage sorry sorry sorry.believe me I can't say it enough.
now back to the thread.
Maybe JayNine07 could let us know what his budget is for the top dollar he is willing to spend rather than saying he's not going to spend a 1000 dollars and does he want new or used ?

Saga? I don't know anything about forum lingo. What i do know is that sage means 'wise'. But if he was being sarcastic then that's a different story :)

I think it has to do the with the assumption that with lower post counts=less knowledge on the subject.

maybe in statistics Years in the business should be an option or something like that, cause newbie to a thread and newbie to the recording/live sound biz is two completely different worlds.

Well I still haven't seen any reply from JayNine07 in regards to his question about a vocal mic for his singer guess maybe it was answered or may be so close to Christmas there's other things to contend with.
And with 7 children my self maybe I should get off the net and help my wife wrap presents or do more over the top exterior deco like the Griswalls.

Peace Love and understanding

Big Kenny was being serious and paying a compliment.The SM7 is a great mic, and usually better than a cheap condenser.

Get the Behringer B1 for that "nails on the chalkboard" sound, or the NT1 for merely overly bright. Sm57 or Sm7 would be good choices. If you absolutely must have a condenser, look at Audio-Technica or the Shure KSM line.

For a moderately priced mic that sounds good, I really like the CAD M9. As always, though, the mic needs to be a good match for the voice.

Big Kenny was being serious and paying a compliment.The SM7 is a great mic, and usually better than a cheap condenser.

Get the Behringer B1 for that "nails on the chalkboard" sound, or the NT1 for merely overly bright. Sm57 or Sm7 would be good choices. If you absolutely must have a condenser, look at Audio-Technica or the Shure KSM line.

Yes I figured that out it was my stupidity and lack of sleep and I apologize once again a thousand times over to Big Kenny.

So I guess I'd have to agree with you on the condenser mic choice but for Keeping the $ figure down maybe a used KSM 44

i've heard decent things about the studio projects b1, but i haven't used it myself. probably going to pick one up for myself for one of my drum overheads and vocals. also seen a lot of recs for the ksm 32 as well, but thats a lot more expensive than a 57.

I think the 32 is a better use of funds for a more useful mic, YMMV

Yup your right but you'll be missing the multi pattern function of the 44 and I can't remember if there is a pad on the 44, do you not like the multi on the 44 or for the money is there a multi more for your taste?

Now I'm not at all thread acronym savvy and I don't want to make the mistake that I made with you earlier Big Kenny mistaking the word sage for saga and I sincerely do apologize for that in a first hand thread "in person" to you.

So I had to ask one of my teenage daughters what YMMV means and she said
well most commonly it is "your mileage may vary"changed to thread slang for this type of thread "your results may vary".........or another common meaning is ..................................................................................................
wait for it ........................ "you make me vomit" LOL

Now I know you mean 'your results may very' and I hope that we have many more conversations in this forum and others for you are very saga I mean SAGE you know I think I hear Santa on the roof I got to go and get my shotgun.

Whats So Wrong With Peace Love and Understanding ...Elvis Costello

Henry

Last edited:
I think the 32 is a better use of funds for a more useful mic, YMMV

IMHO the KSM44 is more forgiving for vocalists that dont have beautiful operatic voices...the KSM32 is all over the the KSM44 on instruments for the most part...but Ive also seen a side by side with the KSM32 and a u87 and the singer sounded much better with the Shure.

IMHO the KSM44 is more forgiving for vocalists that dont have beautiful operatic voices...the KSM32 is all over the the KSM44 on instruments for the most part...but Ive also seen a side by side with the KSM32 and a u87 and the singer sounded much better with the Shure.

Tell me more about how the 32 was better than the 87

Last edited:
Back