Best mastering/audio editing software for S4

tombuur

This has been discussed before, but now that we have S4 and maybe a new situation I'd like to hear your views.

I have never really understood the need for mastering software. The only reason for me would be to make all songs on a cd have the same perceived volume. Batch processing to the same volume can be done in Cool Edit Pro and would be very useful when I need a set of backing files for live use. Particularly, if I don't want to spend much time tweaking songs to be played on a single occasion.

For cd burning Nero works fine for me. Why would I want the mastering software to do that? Is there anything I am missing, except that I have to start up another program?

Otherwise, it looks like Wavelab is the most preferred mastering program. Are the plug-ins any good, or do you still need better mastering plug-ins?

Sound Forge? Supposedly it will also work closely with Sonar for editing audio clips, groove clips etc. which could be useful to me.

Its mostly just the case of having the right tool for the job. I mean you can remove a nut using a pair of pliers, but its usually easier and quicker to use a wrench. If you don't have a wrench, then by all means, use the pliers.

Sonar is a great multi-track recording program and midi-sequencer. While it can be used for mastering, that is not what it was designed for.

Some examples from Wavelab: DC offset detection and correction, built-in spectral and stereo field analyzers, one button bypass for chained plugins, track-to-track layout (as they would appear on a CD) for auditioning song transitions, relative volume settings, etc. And, of course, direct CD burning. I also find Wavelab much easier to work in for mastering purposes, as the layout is designed for working with just single stereo track files. No other tracks, busses, recording controls, etc. etc.

YMMV. And, of course, it also depends on how serious you are about mastering and what your checkbook balance looks like.

Last edited:
My checkbook balance has improved after I contracted to work this Christmas in Norway. Furthermore, I am going to US in two weeks, and things being 30-40% cheaper there, I am doing a bit of last minute work, trying to decide how to spend the money.

Back