best magazines on music production/recording

Vadim

What are best music magazines in U.S. on music production/recording?

thru my little research i found S.O.S. one of the best,
and EQ one of the worst.
(too bad there's no hard copy SOS subscriptions to U.S.)

i had a chance to receive few copies of EQ mag. (thru m-audio new product registration):
all articles talk about almost the same thing in every issue: "digital: bad, analog/tape: good" and many techniques on weird un- standard/experimental recording...
not-much about standard pop techniques.
no reviews of new gear/software.

I'm also very interested on recording/producing quartets/trios/choirs (that sing and record while listening to prerecorded music).
also on recording accordions.
producing music with software/keyboards.

mostly I do Pop, pop/rock, pop-dance, pop-folk type of music.

i know very few music mags, and out of them i liked sos and electronic musician the best. and eq the worst.

thanks.

Recording Magazine is also very nice. Each issue has a section dedicated to recording the basics: drums, vocals, bass, guitar. The only real problem I have with the magazine is the articles are often part of a 5-6 issue series, so if you find something really interesting in an article and want to know more about it, you have to go digging around for the previous parts of the series online (or order a back issue).

Overall I do find the magazine really informative.

I second tapeOp.

First off, its free! And honestly I've picked up most recording magazines now and again, and while they can be informative, they just dont interest me at all, I get bored with their articles in about 2 seconds.

TapeOP is a whole different story, I get the feeling that this was made for the homerecorder, it gets into a lot of budget recording techniques with people that actually record like that instead of sticking to the idea that budget recording is a last resort kinda thing.

The feeling I get with most magazines other than TapeOp is mostly that it is aimed at a home engineer who worships studio engineers, instead of a home engineer who makes due with what hes got.

P.S: SOS is pretty good too, you can actually access a lot of their older articles online. Those are really the only two I would ever recommend.

I second tapeOp.

First off, its free! And honestly I've picked up most recording magazines now and again, and while they can be informative, they just dont interest me at all, I get bored with their articles in about 2 seconds.

TapeOP is a whole different story, I get the feeling that this was made for the homerecorder, it gets into a lot of budget recording techniques with people that actually record like that instead of sticking to the idea that budget recording is a last resort kinda thing.

The feeling I get with most magazines other than TapeOp is mostly that it is aimed at a home engineer who worships studio engineers, instead of a home engineer who makes due with what hes got.

I couldn't agree with you more. Every issue is full of amazing interviews, product reviews, letters from readers, and other great stuff. And like they said, it's free. There's no reason not to subscribe. Get Tapeop. It's pure gold.

Back