Best Lead Intructional Video?

PK55

Hey fellas...

I've been playing guitar for A LONG time...too long to in fact admit that I have never learned how to play scales...IMHO...I can play complicated rythem and write songs, that's my strength...my weakness however is that I have all these idea's in my head/heart that I can't translate to song because I just don't know how to play it...

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good DVD video series on learning how to play leads...all the guitar mags have ad after ad but who knows??? I promised myself that this year I would push myself to further develop my music skills...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED... :cool:

peace
PK55

John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. I personally haven't seen it but, I've heard plenty of his guitar solos and he is an absolutely killer guitar player. If you can do books, find one from Joe Satriani. He taught Via how to play the guitar. That says a lot to me. He's a super awesome guitarist too!!

Later.

chris-from-ky said:
John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. I personally haven't seen it but, I've heard plenty of his guitar solos and he is an absolutely killer guitar player. If you can do books, find one from Joe Satriani. He taught Via how to play the guitar. That says a lot to me. He's a super awesome guitarist too!!

Later.

Yeah I've read stories about a young Stevie Vai stalking Satriani at his door step until he would teach him a thing or two...guess it worked out...lol

I don't believe Satriani has any instructional books out. I know he doesn't have a video out.

I've seen the Petrucci video, and it's good when it comes to talking about practice techniques, but you're not going to learn scales from it.

I think books are a better route for learning scales. The only videos I can think of right off hand that do mention some scales and arpeggios are the Frank Gambale ones. I know he has more than one. I've only seen the one called "Monster Licks and Speed Picking," but I know that one shows you all seven modes and a bunch of arpeggios too. It will also demonstrate his speed picking concept (which is basically sweep picking, or "economy picking" as it's sometimes known when applied to scales). He's got another video called "Modes: No More Mystery," which would obviously demonstrate lots of scales as well. Anyway, he has many more videos and several books too (The Frank Gambale Technique Book, Volumes 1 and 2), and I think any one of them would be a good place to start.

But if you're just needing to learn scales, pickup something like Guitar Scale Finder (from www.halleonard.com) or something like that. There are tons of books on scales.

Hope this helps

Check this one out. It's the best I've ever seen. It's a book, not a DVD, though.

Another good place is the Sam Ash Music Institute. Of course it's more expensive than a book, but it's way cool! Check it out at the Sam Ash home page.

There is a Satch book, it is the compendium of his Guitar for the Practicing Musician columns. It's not really a good "how to solo" book, more of a list of tricks and ideas. Good book, not a lot of cash, either.

The Doug Marks stuff is good, as is Troy Stetina.

As always, I would recommend a guitar instructor. More expensive, but much more effective in the long run, even if you only go a couple months.

steve vai did a book called "the frank zappa guitar book" which is supposed to be fucking amazing but i dont believe they make it anymore. maybe this post was a bit pointless but dahwell.

http://www.guitargrimoire.com/gt01.htm
The guitar grimoire. This is something of an industry standard despite the cheesy title and terrible website. The thing has every mode of every scale (including several artificial scales) diagrammed in great detail. You could literally buy this and never have to buy another scale book ever again, it has everything. The downside is it can be a bit intimidating and it won't really teach you how to solo, just what notes to play. I also haven't used it extensively, so I'm not sure if it tells you how to apply the modes and whatnot (not sure how much of this you already know) but that kind of thing could probably be found online.

At the risk of sounding uncool, let me highly recommend you get a teacher. There are a million people in any town capable of teaching you basic scale/mode theory, how to practice scales on your guitar, how the scales apply to soloing over various chord changes, and that can give you feedback and answer questions based on your own technique and knowledge (something no book or video will do).

hey, I read the description of your book and it sounds great, but lots of us are visual learners. Ever thought about doing a video version?

famous beagle said:
I wasn't going to say this ... but then I thought ... why not?

If you're looking to know the pentatonic scale inside and out and find many different uses for it, I will ... ahem ... humbly recommend my book:

Pentatonic Scales for Guitar: The Essential Guide

http://www.halleonard.com/item_deta...er=search&type=product&keywords=chad+johnson+

Beagle, I bought Frank Gambale's Modes: No More Mystery dvd because I had seen a couple others by him and I felt he did a good job teaching. Unfortunately, he missed the mark in the Modes dvd. It didn't really teach anything that your average guitarist doesn't already know. I know my modes, but I wanted some lessons in applying them and other things to do with them. Really all he does is gives you the notes of each mode (duh), shows you how to come up with one chord progression (the same formula for all 7 modes, nothing more. Then he blows through them. That's it. I was dissapointed.

His Chopbuilder dvd is excellent. Mainly teaching a practice routing but you could learn from it as well.

I would highly recommend NOT buying the Greg Koch dvd's as I think they suck. My opinion, but if you buy 'em, don't blame me.

Sirnothingness said:
Beagle, I bought Frank Gambale's Modes: No More Mystery dvd because I had seen a couple others by him and I felt he did a good job teaching. Unfortunately, he missed the mark in the Modes dvd. It didn't really teach anything that your average guitarist doesn't already know. I know my modes, but I wanted some lessons in applying them and other things to do with them. Really all he does is gives you the notes of each mode (duh), shows you how to come up with one chord progression (the same formula for all 7 modes, nothing more. Then he blows through them. That's it. I was dissapointed.

His Chopbuilder dvd is excellent. Mainly teaching a practice routing but you could learn from it as well.

I would highly recommend NOT buying the Greg Koch dvd's as I think they suck. My opinion, but if you buy 'em, don't blame me.

That's too bad about the Modes: No More Mystery. Like I said, I haven't seen that one, but I thought it would be better.

Greg Koch ... that name sounds familiar, but I don't think I've heard anything from him.

amra said:
hey, I read the description of your book and it sounds great, but lots of us are visual learners. Ever thought about doing a video version?

Well that would be up to my publisher (Hal Leonard), and I don't think the book's sold enough to merit a DVD version. Usually, DVD releases are coupled with celebrities, which I definitely am not.

But ... HL is really growing in their DVD department, so who knows?

I'm getting ready to head up to Milwaukee and go to work for them in a full-time in-house position, so after I finish this bass book I'm working on, I don't think I'll be writing anymore books for a while.

But thanks for the interest!

I have enjoyed Jam tracks. Complete printouts of all scales and modes plus chord progressions used in track with recommended key and scale to use.

http://www.underthegroove.com/

Plus I have a Troy Settina book and CD on speed picking that I found to be very helpful. I really haven't found many videos to be of help. I am more of a book learner. I got a Buddy Guy video off ebay that is sweet but not easy.

George Lynch instructional videos...1. He's a great player. 2. They are funny as hell, because in the ones I have...seems as though he's taken one to many hits off the bong before recording for the camera!!

Back