Best hard disk recorder for the money?

Though I've long since left the standalone recorder world for that of ProTools, a friend of mine got his perfectly decent Roland VS1880 burgled recently. He doesn't have a good computer, nor a lot of money, so I'm trying to find him something inexpensive and workable, since he won't be able to buy another 1880, and computer-based systems would require buying a decent computer.

I made my first album on a used VS880, but it finally crapped out on me after 8 years and so I don't know if buying a used one is a good idea anymore. Anyone have a recommendation on a hard disk recorder that might run under $300 used or new? Guy's got good mics, cables & preamps, just needs something good to feed 'em to.

Though I've long since left the standalone recorder world for that of ProTools, a friend of mine got his perfectly decent Roland VS1880 burgled recently. He doesn't have a good computer, nor a lot of money, so I'm trying to find him something inexpensive and workable, since he won't be able to buy another 1880, and computer-based systems would require buying a decent computer.

I made my first album on a used VS880, but it finally crapped out on me after 8 years and so I don't know if buying a used one is a good idea anymore. Anyone have a recommendation on a hard disk recorder that might run under $300 used or new? Guy's got good mics, cables & preamps, just needs something good to feed 'em to.

you might be able to find a tascam 2488 (not mark 2) used for about 300. i use one and i've never had a problem with it. i think it's awesome though some people have issues with it. but just to say that with the last update all the glitches were worked out.

Back