best guitar sound

ronsmith

I am recording on a tascam mk11, what do you guys think sounds best. Record direct to line in on recorder,use mono send from amp to recorder or set up mike and record to tascam. I think direct sounds too thin and tinny?

gt-6 or jstation can give you a decent guitar sound.....the thing I'm trying to find is the sweet spot eq for the guitar so it blends with the bass and you can still tell them apart but doesnt boom on Gs and As or the like

That will really depend on the sound you are trying to obtain.

I think direct sounds too thin and tinny?
If thin is what your getting, you might want to try double or triple tracking the guitar.

It doesn't matter weather you mic an amp (you need a decent mic & pre amp) or go direct, it is possibly to achieve great sounding guitar using either method. You just have to work at it.

I forgot to mention as one did above....I use the Jstation quite a bit direct. The Jstation is a great amp simulating unit with endless possibilities.

Thanks guys for the info, think Ill try the twin mike idea first and see what I get but the double track direct idea sounds intresting also. Maybe one track of each then mix together?

Stealthtech
" Micing the cabinet with two mics in different positions will give you the best results."

Ditto!!

Later,...
Calwood

Back