best distortion pedal?

POLease

I own a DOD grunge fx 69, I like it but the cheap piece of shit wont turn off now. Are there any other dist. pedals that have that full bottum bass like the 69, but not so piss poor made.

I've heard that their is nothing like a Tube Screamer, except for, perhaps, it's big brother, the Tube King. Ibanez pedals if I remember correctly. By the wasy, get the real Tube Screamer (@$80) not the cheap one that goes for @$40. Boss DS and Metal Zones are reputable, too, and built like tanks. Stay away from Morley and Fuzz Face.

Peace, Jim

Definitely, you have to try the Boss Metal Zone, I don't use distortion pedals (I prefer a good high gain amp) anymore, but that's what I was using previously, and that is what I would use again! Big full powerful sound, and you can get a lot of different sounds with that sweepable mid EQ.

why not dump the pedals completely and just invest in a 2 channel amp with a footswitch. I bought a Marshall G50 and the overdrive is great, the sustain is better as well compared to my old pedals

Dunno.... maybe it's just me, but do you guys find the Boss Metal Zone too harsh/dry? Maybe I'm the only one but I don't like the Boss Metal Zone very much. I own one and the only reason I use it is because I haven't saved up the money to buy a new one.

Or maybe I'm using it wrong. Or maybe I got a defect or something.

But one thing I agree with is that Boss pedals do last for quite a while. I've had my Metal Zone so long I can't even remember where I bought it.

my three favorites:

ProCo RAT: awsome lead sounds and very brash and chunky for rhythem

Tube Screamer: really nice and creamy in front of a tube amp

Danelectro Daddy-O: you wouldn't think it from it's apearance but this thing is a beast! I'ts EQ is laid out like a Metal-Zone, but it blows the Boss away!

I have a DOD grunge pedal as well and it can get pretty mean and nasty sounding so it sounds as though your playing heavier music. The Tube Screamer won't be nearly enough to run a distorted enough tone,a lot of people rave about the Bigg Muff and the ProCo Ratt. Go to your local music store and try a bunch of them out!!!!

I own the Ibanez Tube Screamer (original). It kicks ass. I think it's the best pedal out there. It's not tinny and over-processed like most distortion pedals out there.

Try a Zoom 505!! It is the best pedal I have seen or heard to date. I picked mine up for $84.00. It is more than a distortion pedal and programable. Friends that have played through mine have all gone and gotten their own

The Boss me-30 was my choice youll never need another pedal. 30 factory and 30 user settings, amp simulator ,expression pedal and 16 multieffects and much more. sells for $250.00
You can program any distortion sound you like.

jimimac

you want a real heavy bottom end sound, super saturated for rhythm? I reccomend the Boss Metal-Zone as well, but like one of the comments it does sound a little thin. What I did was run the metal-zone through a Rocktron Gainiac (the pedal version not thr rackmount) turned the gain all the way up ont the metal zone and all the way down on the rocktron. Suck out all the mids w/ the scoop ont the gainiac boost the highs and lows and BAM!!! You'll get a distortion so thick and meaty Dimebag would stop to take a peep.

i also have a metal zone, and for nice, heavy stuff, i've not really considered much else. i also have a marshall guv'nor, which has an amazing marshall sound out of vintage fenders (you just have to try the combo to believe it). if your amp is solid-state and you want some serious tube growl (or tube and you just want to sound huge), try the mesa-boogie v-twin. i was astonished with the immenseness of the sound on the one i ran through a bassman, and it could sure beef up an overly bright amp. personally, for heavy music, i go with my explorer through a metal zone with bass and treble cranked, mid freq most of the way down with the mid level at about 9 o clock, running through an alesis microeq with bass up full at about 75hz with q=2 octaves (q is the band size, right? i'm kind of an amateur ;) , middle set at ~510, most of the way down, q=2 octave (choice on this pedal is 1/2 octave or 2 octave range), treble at about 2.5k at 9oclock for level. i run this into a silverface ('70, i think) fender
musicmaster, a very simple amp that is designed to work well with bass or guitar (like a baby bassman combo kindof). with the q buttons on my microeq and the pickup selector and tone knob on my explorer, i get a staggering range of great heavy sounds. my usual sound is kind of static-x/system of a down/tool-esque. really deep, monstrous, immense sustain,and (assumedly becuase of the treble cut on the microeq), almost gated-sounding. very nice signal-to noise, though the self-noise on the metal zone can be a little high the way i have it set. (maybe i should cut treble on it and up it on the microeq-hmm). in any case, it's the monster tone for me, suitable for many heavy sounds. i can even kill the metalzone and run my acoustic in for a great bottom-heavy, punchy days of the newesque tone. your mileage may vary, of course, but for a reasonably low gear budget and no need for a huge amp because i'm mostly just recording, it's phenomenal.

For Full bottom bass, I would recommend the Boss Hyper Metal ahead of the Metal Zone. Owned both before and they're almost identical in appearance.But the hyper metal is creamier and fatter while the metal zone has more mids and crunch. The tubescreamer probably doesn't have enough gain for metal as well as the low end.

thanks everybody,

well, I got out to the big city this weekend and tryed a couple of sug. pedals(mt2, ibanez ts, & the ratt), but none gave that feel like the 69. I'm going to just buy a new one, it'll be my third in two years. I can probally just accept that it will not last long><

Check out the Women Tone distortion pedal.
I've only seen them advertised in vintage guitar magazine but I played through one at a trade show....Good sound and it has a decal of a nude women and her tits light up when she's turned on.......No this isn't a joke.

Back