Best computer for Doctor Varney

This looks good.
ComputerCoolSchool2.jpg

I think they're prone to memory/motherboard/hard drive/sound card/graphics card/cpu/psu failure though.

I suspect anything relying on electricity could be a problem.

How about a Babbage Difference Engine?

welcome-babbageengine.jpg

I feel guilty for pounding this forum with non-recording computer problems - but you chaps have been helpful and sympathetic already and seem to know your stuff.

Summary:

• Is it okay to replace the handle on a difference engine?
  • Can a bad handle damage sprocket?

The handle broke off my difference engine I swear I never touched it though...

Details:
At first I thought maybe the handle was at fault but I took it to the store and they replaced it.
Now the shaft wont turn at all!
Could a broken sprocket be the cause after all?

Cheers

Dr. V

Hmmm....
(Sorry Varney! All in good fun.)

You could probably also sit a plate on top. I particularly like my old granny's plates with the flowery ring around the edge.

Convolution is more difficult but I'm pretty sure you could whack the whole thing with a sledge hammer while your assistant turns the crank

Ah, I see you chaps have been having fun while I've been away... :D

Yeah, all in good fun... (what's life without seeing the funny side?). I'm quite flattered you've all been thinking of me, while I've been away.

That's why I've only just noticed this thread. I've been back in the theatre this last two weeks. Haven't needed to even touch a computer in all that time - and you know what? BLISS!

Before:
fat-man-at-computer.jpg
After:
Bowing-Man.jpg

But oh, it gets better (and you'll love this)... 'C' (who built it) came round to have a look at the quad core system that whines when I turn it on and blue screens when I power down. And you'll NEVER guess what happened... No! Oh Yes. It started up silently and switched off like a little angel. We repeated the exercise over and over - but not once would it blue screen. At this point, I felt the hate rising through the smoke of the Stockholm Syndrome, which embodies the 'special relationship' I have with this technology. So he left, saying he'd be back on Sunday. Just as I heard him start the engine on his bike outside - you can guess what colour my screen went. No prizes for the correct answer.

BSOD_Main.png

And I will come back, with a vengeance... only with THIS:

ghetto-blaster.jpg

(Fast forward, cue/ review, graphic equaliser, high quality condenser mic and Dolby B noise reduction!) Try beatin' this, mutha-funksters!

Last edited:
Back