Best clean, crisp snares these days?

getuhgrip

Bring Back Transfat!
Snare wires. Who's got some good ones that aren't all over the place? Before I dump this Mapex, I'll take one last shot at trying to tighten it up.

Most of the time it's not the snare wires fault, but how you've installed them. There's no crime in not knowing how to do it well. Find a drummer friend that you know that has snare drums that you like the sound of and ask for some help in setting your's up........... and then watch and make notes. It takes a bit of practice and there's no half way about it. Everything must be set up precise and in a certain way. (Most of the time, drummers with bad sound on the snares have tightened the lower hoop too much and the hoop is too far away from the bearing edge making it near impossible to get good sound).

For sure the snare needs to be set up right.

I needed some new snare wires and bought some Gretsch ones off of eBay recently. That was a mistake. Ya, it had"Gretsch" written on it but they were like what you'd see on a beginner set, or worse, total garbage...so I thought I'd warn you about those.

Next time I'm going to buy Puresound wires, that's the brand I hear recommended over and over so that's what I'll try next. Or ideally a set of NOS Ludwig or Gretsch if they weren't too much. The Gretsch Responso snare wires from the 50's and 60's were great.

I use these snare wires that are like 3 times as wide as your standard snare wires , they cover probably 75% of the snare , they sound great with a Lot of Crack (not the kind you smoke ) , anything else just sounds weak to me now .....

Cheers

I use these snare wires that are like 3 times as wide as your standard snare wires , they cover probably 75% of the snare , they sound great with a Lot of Crack (not the kind you smoke ) , anything else just sounds weak to me now .....

Cheers

Which wires are you talking about?

You have to match snare wire width to the depth of the snare. Shallow snares are naturally snappy. They don't need or typically want some big 40 strand snare set on the bottom. Deeper 6-7 inch snares like wider 30 or 40 strand snare sets.

Don't overthink or over-engineer your snare. Choose a top and bottom head for the sound you want, use the right snare wires, and tune it well. Bla-dow. Snare goodness.

I have absolutly no idea what they are called but I have seen them at every music store I have been in (Tommy lee , Long & Mcquade) ... they look like yer average strainer accept they are 3 or 4 times as wide and they add a huge ammount of snare attack compared to a regular strainer , I like them because I like my snare to really cut through without haveing to beat the shit out of it ........

:)

Back