best Chinese import condenser for classical guitar

kmaaj

I have an AT22 stereo condenser. I am going to play with it as an ambient distant mic and put that and a larger diaphragm into a small mixer. What is the best performer for acoustic instruments among the new crop of Chinese imports? I need to try to keep it under $100.

Check out Oktava MC-012 or MK-012 (same mic) - if you can preview them or select from a batch you can get one that sounds great on classical guitar for about $100. It's Russian. If you have a thing for Chinese, MXL 603 has had a lot of positive reviews around here.

kmaaj said:
I have an AT22 stereo condenser. I am going to play with it as an ambient distant mic and put that and a larger diaphragm into a small mixer. What is the best performer for acoustic instruments among the new crop of Chinese imports? I need to try to keep it under $100.
For acoustic instruments, the Marshall MXL603S is the best cheap Chinese made budget mic IMO. ;)

The Studio Projects B1 is reputed to be a good acoustic guitar mic also,
plus it should outshine the SD Marshall (relatively) on most vocals.

Much less quality control issues than an (non-thoroughly inspected) Oktava, per respected AE's, like Scott Dorsey. Although IF the Oktava is a "good" one, they're also good all around mics. One long term potential issue with an Oktava is poor soldering. So even if it works today, that may NOT be true in a year or two (or whatever).

Smart to include the B1 therefore in your short list IMHO.

Chris

chessparov said:
The Studio Projects B1 is reputed to be a good acoustic guitar mic also,
plus it should outshine the SD Marshall (relatively) on most vocals.

Much less quality control issues than an (non-thoroughly inspected) Oktava, per respected AE's, like Scott Dorsey. Although IF the Oktava is a "good" one, they're also good all around mics. One long term potential issue with an Oktava is poor soldering. So even if it works today, that may NOT be true in a year or two (or whatever).

Smart to include the B1 therefore in your short list IMHO.

Chris

I like the B1 on guitar, and it doesn't take much positioning to get a decent sound. I find it quite difficult to find a nice position for the mk012s but I'm going to get an omni cap for the oktava next month and see how that sounds.

There is also...

chessparov said:
The Studio Projects B1 is reputed to be a good acoustic guitar mic also, plus it should outshine the SD Marshall (relatively) on most vocals.

On some guitars, the Studio Projects C1 actually makes it sound nicer than what a B1 does... I sometimes, for some applications, prefer the C1 on my guitar (D41) to the Oktavas MK-012, B1 or NT1000 that I also have.

But I agree, the B1 is a decent perform, especially for its price.

Of course none of these are Neumans ;-) And the C1 is more than $100...

-- Per.

Don't forget the Behringer ECM8000. Despite the name, it actually sounds great on classical guitar. Very flat response.

paddyponchero said:
I like the B1 on guitar, and it doesn't take much positioning to get a decent sound. I find it quite difficult to find a nice position for the mk012s but I'm going to get an omni cap for the oktava next month and see how that sounds.

I'll second that. For around $100, the SP B1 is what I'd recommend if you're looking for a LDC to record acoustic guitar.

scrubs said:
Don't forget the Behringer ECM8000. Despite the name, it actually sounds great on classical guitar. Very flat response.

... but possibly a bit noisier than some of the other options.

-- Per.

Back