best cheap guitar for metal

Disease8

Hi I recently got back into p[laying guitar but I am not sure if my peavey patriot strat copy is the best for metal. What would you guys recommend in the super low budget of £150 (second hand). I am intrigued by the Dean Vendetta I love the way it looks and its cheap and good for metal. Also I like the look of the Yamahas and they look pretty cheap too.

Anyway pretty broad question but I hate plowing through endless lists with a non interactive text.

Many thanks.

If you are not sure, how can we help? Some cheap guitars play really well and do what you want. Depending on your style, you might want a higher action, heavier strings, or a low action with lighter strings. To be honest if the cheap guitar is going to be abused then, why spend lots of dose? I'll happily play anything that stays in tune, has good intonation and a low to moderate action. People all have opinions on single coils v doubles, two v three of them, whammy bar or not, and then of course what it looks like. Surely best to take your £150 to the local music shop and play a few. A few years ago, I had quite a few quid to spend on a 5 string bass, but no firm idea of what - so I went to a big music shop and played every one, ignoring the headstock and the dangly price ticket - so no idea at all. I found three I liked, and spent a bit of time playing away - and then looked at the ticket price of the Peavey I liked the most. It was not by any means the most expensive. I have more expensive ones now, but that Peavey still plays the best!

I have an old Squire S73 that fits your specs but as mentioned you are going to have to try them out yourself.

Just about any of the cheaper Jacksons would work. I personally don't like the Deans because the strings are spaced way too far apart. ESP makes decent guitars too. But the availability of certain brands is different in the states, so I don't know what is prevalent and cheap over there.

Just about any of the cheaper Jacksons would work. I personally don't like the Deans because the strings are spaced way too far apart. ESP makes decent guitars too. But the availability of certain brands is different in the states, so I don't know what is prevalent and cheap over there.

Didn't know that about the Deans. I'll have to try some more out. I want wider spacing. Don't play metal, either.

Having played mostly Gibsons, Fenders seem like the strings are too far apart, Dean is even farther apart than Fender.

Each of the companies mention make different models of guitars that have a variety of nut, string spacings. It is not a general approach specific to a company. Obviously a few plays liked the "spacing" on Fenders. Again each with their own nut spacing based upon the width of the neck at the nut, specific to the design, not which manufacturer.

Try some guitars at the shop get the specs of ones you like the most, body type, Sound, scale, tuning stability and intonation, and maybe yes nut spacing, the spacing at the bridge also has an effect on the feel of the string spread.

Pretty much all guitars list there specs. have a look by spec for each model not the brand!!

Don;t play Metal, but owned well over 1000 axes and u need to go play some. Best of luck and hope to hear of a happy acquisition.

Oh, and I'll chime in on the oft-repeated opinion that guitars aren't relegated to a specific genre. I'm sure you could play metal on a Tele and country on a BC Rich Warbird.

It just depends on what you like the sound of, and what you like the the looks and feel of. Yes, you don't need a guitar to look a certain way to be able to play a certain style of music on, but I do understand that the way a guitar looks can inspire you in a given direction. Hopefully not One Direction. :laughings:

Go hit the music stores and start playing everything they've got. Be sure to try the Kramers in the used section.

Metal!

BCRich_beast_v.jpg

I hate emg's.

I suppose its possible that across an entire range of a company's instrument line the string spacing isnt always the same, but a les paul, flying v, explorer, es335 and l6 all have a narrower string spacing than any strat or tele I have ever played. Likewise, the Dean ml, cadilac, v, whatever that dimebag guitar is called,etc all have wider necks and wider string spacing than any of the fenders or gibsons I have ever owned or played. Yes, it's a generalization, but if you walk into any guitar center, pick up a any gibson, any fender, and any dean, 9999 times out of 1000 the string spacing will be as I described.

I hate emg's.

I suppose its possible that across an entire range of a company's instrument line the string spacing isnt always the same, but a les paul, flying v, explorer, es335 and l6 all have a narrower string spacing than any strat or tele I have ever played. Likewise, the Dean ml, cadilac, v, whatever that dimebag guitar is called,etc all have wider necks and wider string spacing than any of the fenders or gibsons I have ever owned or played. Yes, it's a generalization, but if you walk into any guitar center, pick up a any gibson, any fender, and any dean, 9999 times out of 1000 the string spacing will be as I described.

Not arguing, but it most certainly is not 999 out of 1000. Certainly Fenders are variable, particularly any of the many models of Strat they make, from 62 relics and 57 reissues etc... The neck on thee can vary widely in shape and nut spacing. While Fender is mostly focused on start and tele, Gibson has even a larger range, particularly considering its range of guitars. From les Paul to L5 and everything in between will have quite a variation in nut size. Never played a Dean tho, so maybe they make then all 1.72, 1.76 or something, but as mentioned if that is important to you, just get the specs of one you like the feel of and pick a guitar that has that spacing spec.

Back