Best CEP De-Esser??????

crispycutz

Any feed back appreciated....IPDeluxe, if you jump on this this early, i'd like to thank you again for your illustrative answers, all over this board....

Okay, now that im recording artists who bring me their "original" instrumentals from their producers, im having to clean up mixdowns of these beats in the parametric EQ....

As we all know, every artist has a different voice, and sometimes I feel that just pulling back around 4khz or even 128khz. etc...isnt enough to get that eardrum fatiguing simbiance out...

My question (finally ;) is what is the most effective, or difference between the De-Esser's in CEP??

There's one in Compression (Amplit>DynamicProssc.>DeEsser)

and 2 in "Filters" (Filters>Notch Filter>SimbianceSoftener)
& (Filters>FFT>De-Esser)

this is by no means a poll, but i'd apreciate some feedback as to which one everyone favors, or the circumstances in which one may be more ideal than the other.....

As always, links are great, and thanks to all who love recording and mixing....

-Chris

I personally like the De-Esser in Dynamics Processing. I use the soft setting, and it seems to work well with my voice... at least, I think so.

Thanks for the kind words, but sibilansssssssss causes me the same problems that everyone else has. Luckily I only work with a couple of singers that have problems...but with one I recorded a Christmasssssssss album and there were sssssssssssss up the kazoo on that one! I use Waves' De-esser, but I have also used the CEP/AA default in the Dynamics menu and tweaked until I got a significant lowering of the ess. As you probably know, you can highlight the problem area in Edit View, then hit Preview and it will loop the selected area so you can tinker with the settings, rather than change-try-stop-go back-change-try etc. Still, on one song, I had to resort to finding another ess in the same song that she didn't hissssssssssss, and cutting and pasting. Whew. A lot of work for such a little thing, but it sounded like a truck on gravel before I started.

Thank you guys for the feedback...

Yaknow.....sometimes the simplest, most trivial thing can go overlooked...

ie. "highlight a small problem area and tweak in preview"

thanks IP...

will do..

You're welcome. By the way, my name is lower case, so it's really LPDeluxe (just like my portrait).

Back