Best budget Mic and Preamp combo for a HUGE voice

Raina TheRocker

Hello,
I'm having a hard time deciding on a basic setup for recording in my home. I have a problem - my huge, huge voice. I'm a classically trained singer (opera and music theatre) but the album I'm recording is rock. If I were to compare my voice to anyone, it would be Nancy Wilson (Heart) or Amy Lee (Evanescence). I clip/max out all the mics I own, the best of which tolerate 140 SPL.

What my recordings seem to lack is punch and warmth. I do have a Sterling S50 class A FET that's ok, but... is there better for the price? I've been looking around for awhile and it seems like a lot of folks recommend the Shure SM7B or the Rode NT1A for inexpensive setups. (I wish I could, but a Neumann is NOT in my budget.) Then I look at preamps (under $200 - no $ for Avalon either) and with any one it seems I can switch out the tube for awesome sound, but is that necessary? Or is the answer a compressor? (I like to record the vocals with zero effects, but I am open to new techniques.) I'd like to keep my total expenditure under $600.

I'm running Logic X on a new quad-core iMac. My knowledge of recording is decent, but I'm always learning more. I have a BBA MusBus/Recording from Belmont U circa 2005, so I'm not current but my base knowledge is solid.

Any help/recommendations would be helpful! Thanks!

Have you tried a dynamic mic? Rather than a ldc?
The shure sm7b for example is dynamic.
I'm not convinced its a mic problem .

LDC large diagphram condensor mic.
The Rode you mentioned is an ldc.
Lots of people like the GAP 1073 IIRC preamp.
I dont own it but it is popular and would fit in your budget.
Have you got anywhere you could go and audition mics? Guitar center etc.....

Thanks for clarifying! I've tried both LDCs and inexpensive (under $100) dynamic mics, but never a ribbon due to fear of breaking it. I do know that back when I was in audio school I tried a vintage U87 and it made me sound horrid - all dark and dead. Maybe that helps? I haven't done an actual shoot-out, I don't live near any large music stores or schools at the moment. I'm just reading everything I can!

Thanks for the preamp suggestion - it looks like a good bet.

If you have the powerful voice you say, the 1800 will give you enough clean gain for the SM7b without need for a external preamp. You may get some kind of magic from a good preamp, but I am going to guess it would be a bit disappointing to you. I run a $1500 Vintech X73i with the 7b and I really do not notice a huge difference in the preamp. Don't get me wrong, that 5% I would give it is worthy, but it is more the eq on the unit that I like with the mic. I have since upgraded from the Tascam US1800 to better interfaces. I also have a NT1A and I am not a fan of it for vocalists with any type of upper midrange power. It just sounds really harsh to my ears. I would vote for the SM7b, and go from there. :)

Last edited:
If you have the powerful voice you say, the 1800 will give you enough clean gain for the SM7b without need for a external preamp. You may get some king of magic from a good preamp, but I am going to guess it would be a bit disappointing to you. I run a $1500 Vintech X73i with the 7b and I really do not notice a huge difference in the preamp. Don't get me wrong, that 5% I would give it is worthy, but it is more the eq on the unit that I like with the mic. I have since upgraded from the Tascam US1800 to better interfaces. I also have a NT1A and I am not a fan of it for vocalists with any type of upper midrange power. It just sounds really harsh to my ears. I would vote for the SM7b, and go from there. :)

this^^

for a huge voice on a rock album this would be my default choice.

I'm in the same boat as the OP - operatically trained soprano with a huge voice. It's super clear (though not nasal) and in the low-end mics I use right now it can be strident in the higher pitches. I currently use a Zoom H4n and also an Audio Technica ATR30. I want to upgrade but my budget is a bit lower than the OP. Other than looking for a used SM7b, what can I find in the under $200 range that is similar?

Don't forget that the room you are recording the vocals in makes a huge difference as well.

I have found that a hugh voice sound huge through almost any mic. I.E a good singer can sound good on almost any setup.

Alan.

Don't forget that the room you are recording the vocals in makes a huge difference as well.

I have found that a hugh voice sound huge through almost any mic. I.E a good singer can sound good on almost any setup.

Alan.

True that! Look at what Elvis had to sing through.

True that! Look at what Elvis had to sing through.
Maybe I should get a microphone like Elvis's then. I'm saying that the cheap mic I have now isn't working and asking for one within my budget that would work. I have a student with a large voice like mine who owns the SM7b and says she is very frustrated working with it as it makes her voice sound overly bright.

The problem I think is that we are classically trained. That means we work very hard at getting as clear a sound as possible as well as loud. It's the clarity that carries over an orchestra unamplified, and I also think this clarity presents a problem for mics - at least what I've encountered and what my student tells me. I'm sure a $10k mic wouldn't have this problem, maybe not even a $4k mic, but is there a cheaper alternative that would work without compromising the technique? All we are trying to get is an accurate representation of how we sound in person. Maybe that's not possible in a budget, but I hope so. :/

You are welcome.
I have never owned a KEL, but I have read a lot about them.
Bob
Well, I had a student of mine recommend the Rode NT-1a, and since I found a used one for $150 on ebay, I decided to start with that. I know this won't be the last mic I buy, but I liked what I heard about them so we'll see if this can handle what I do. I can always return it if that doesn't do the trick. ;)

Back