Best bang for your buck: Orchestral Percussion, Strings, and Brass VSTs?

Morodiene

I'm looking for suggestions on VSTs for classical music for percussion (timpani, bass drum, gong, etc.), strings, and brass (nothing jazzy or funky). I can't spend thousands of dollars here, but I'm willing to spend up to $200 each. I know the more you spend the better you will get, but looking for value right now. :)

I'm running Cubase on a Mac.

Thanks!

For strings and brass you could have a listen to Komplete Elements. It comes with lots of instruments and synth sounds and is really good value for money, especially as it comes with a money-off voucher for half the price you pay. But if you don't need all of the extra stuff, then it might not even be worth paying the small cost. Here are some details on what's included.

Here's a track I made as the soundtrack for a video. All of the instruments used in it are part of Komplete Elements. They include the Abbey Road drumkit, brass ensemble, string ensemble, choir, harpsichord, piano, and guitar. I should point out that the synthesized choir sound isn't all that good on its own but blends in nicely to sound more like a real choir.

https://soundcloud.com/garryknight/01-the-biggest-spotlight

Check out IK Multimedia XL bundle. Pretty good bundle for the price. Just wrote about it in under this thread.

I've had the Garritan samplers for quite a while, and like them a lot but still have my colossus install from a few years ago, and still use a few of it's samples.

I went through the same thing not too long ago and my sweetwater rep suggested I tried ProjectSAM Orchestra Essentials. It's got everything you would need for orchestral work, including the percussion, and the samples sound great. It goes for $399 but it's got everything.

Can I bump this?

I've been looking orchestral packages, although I'm actually more interested in decent sounding solo instruments - Most brass and strings.
(PT11 - mac - AAX)

I'm being drawn to the Vienna stuff but their website just reminds me of addictive drums 2, and why I didn't buy it.
Maybe I'm being blind, but it kinda seems like there are shitloads of options and bundles and I'm struggling to work out what would suit me best.

I mean, vienna instruments pro and ensemble pro...Are these just hosts and you buy your samples separately?
What about the various special edition bundles etc. Do I need to buy one of the above with it?

<sigh> Can anyone recommend an orchestral bundle that just you just buy and install and that's it?
Basically I'm looking for a decent improvement over the expand plug that comes with PT.

The IK multimedia stuff looked good, but I don't see PT AAX support there.
Same applies to garrison, unfortunately. ProjectSAM looks great although it doesn't seem to cover many solo instruments.

EDIT:
East West Gold package looks good. Any experience with it?

Last edited:
I love the VST orchestra, for me it is good enough, very good value for what you are getting, it has everything that you listed in your original post

it's called Halion symphonic orchesra not vst orchestra...I got that wrong which is cubase only I think, it works within halion sonic SE, it is a library of strings, and other orchestral percussion and even some brass, all very good.

Buy HALion Symphonic Orchestra VST Sound Instrument SetÂ*:Â*Â*|Â*http://www.steinberg.net/

I have a question on this if you don't mind.

It used to be Steiny sold 2 versions of this. A $99 version that was 16bit audio only and the full $500 version that was full 24bit and IIRC did surround and other neat things.

Does this have 24bit audio samples or is it just an updated version of that $99 version I mentioned?

I have a question on this if you don't mind.

It used to be Steiny sold 2 versions of this. A $99 version that was 16bit audio only and the full $500 version that was full 24bit and IIRC did surround and other neat things.

Does this have 24bit audio samples or is it just an updated version of that $99 version I mentioned?

I think they are 24 bit yes, but I'm not certain, you'd have to contact Steinberg for that info

Back