Best "bang for the buck" recording solution?

TimLyons

My band plans on recording a short demo sometime VERY soon. We're all in high school, so of course cash is limited. I have the most recording gear thus far... I've got the mixer, POD, computer, software, etc.

Now then... I'm looking for the absolute cheapest way to get a decent quality demo. I need like... a 4-mic setup for drums (I only have 4 pre's on the mixer), mainly. What mics would you guys suggest? I am strongly considering those Behringer ECM8000s talked about in a couple threads. I have a Shure SM58 - Could I screw off the ball end, use it for snare, but cut some lows? What's the cheapest, decent sounding kick drum mic available?

I'm just looking for basically a setup that is cheap, and that I can work with to get a good quality sound out of, even if it means spending several hours messing with placement, or fixing little things in Cool Edit Pro.

We already have some prelim recordings done (me and my computer, that's all - didn't even have my SM58 before I recorded any of it, so the vocals reflect the quality of the mic - an Optimus 33-3030 from Radio Shack). If you want, check them out - http://www.mp3.com/L_I_E_

Thanks for any help,
Tim Lyons
Lead Guitar/Vocals, L.I.E.

Yea, the 58 will do fine for snare.

You might consider a pair of Marshall mxl 603's for overheads - You could even get by just using one.

And on the kick drum, the AT Pro 25 is the best thing out there for the money - around $50.

That would be a good 4-mic setup for the drums. More than good, actually.

Chess,
Do you think the 603's will pick up the rest of the kit like the ECM-8000's? Or do you think that's not really necessary?

Chances are you guys don't have a room that will let the ECM8000's sound good. It almost doesn't matter how you place them, they will soak up every sound your room has to offer. They are cheap, but you'll probably have more luck squeezing a good sound from you kit and room with the 603's.

Also, since the 603's really are kind of wide cardioid, they should pick up the kit just fine if you set them up X/Y and center them on the snare. Gets you a nice stereo spread and a natural sound that really breathes some life into the recording. You'll have to play with placement with them, but you'll probably get more mileage out of it than with the ECM's.

So:

2 603's in an X/Y pointed at the snare
1 SM58 close on the snare
1 AT Pro 25 on the kick.

Especially since you are editing in CEP, that should give you a lot of mixing options for just 4 mics.

Good luck,
Chris

Agreed. That is mic setup that could just deliver some excellent results. The only thing I tend to do differently is I actually use the 603's in front of the kit. I've tried XY-ing them right in between the two center toms. Also tried spreading them out farther L and R in front, and I like the results. It gives a lot better stereo separation, in my opinion, since you get those "tom rolls" that sort of travel from Right speaker to the Left when you pan them.

Some people think that sounds a little cheesy, but I still like it when used in moderation.

For overhead, I just use one mic right over the drummer's Right shoulder, close to his ear, pointed towards the snare. I go for the flattest, least-colored mic for this task, as this one will be responsible for capturing most of the cymbals and hi-hat - along with the rest of the kit. I can't stand bright-sounding mics on cymbals. Yuk.

As far as the room is concerned - don't worry, we have it set to where there will be little to no room reverb at all in this case. And definitely no NASTY room reverb. I'll check out the 603s, anyway - I just dig the prospect of $35 condensers. Where would be the best place to look for the 603s?

If that's the case, then you should pick up a couple of Behringer ecm8000's. Those you can probably get at guitar center, Musician's Friend, or 8thstreet.com. $35/pop.

Back